Autumn Flowering Bulbs.

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: Autumn Flowering Bulbs.

Post by aykhan »

An important thing about Nerines is that you need to know if they are the summer or winter dormant. I have two winter dormant varieties huttoniae and I think laticoma. They need sun and temps above 95 degrees to flower. They also need a lot of water in the heat. Both my summer growing Nerines have taken full sun almost in 115 degrees heat very well. They have actually surprised me. The bulbs are small and I do not think they will bloom for a couple of years. The other Nerines I have are summer dormant and look like they're dead despite being in the pots for many months now. I occasionally water them so they don't shrivel out completely. I only hope to see some growth or it will be sad.
haris.kabir
City: Rawalpindi

Post by haris.kabir »

Very right AyKhan Sahab, but here I must say most of the Nerine varieties are dormant in summers and bloom in autumn, and generally also Nerines are considered autumn flowering bulbs. Although there are few very rare and i must say, special species which are not really autumn flowering. like laticoma.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

haris.kabir wrote:Yes, like Lycoris, it is advisable to pull out the bulbs and then replant them in late monsoon/early autumn. For now you can place the potted bulbs in semi shade or maybe full sun for an hr or 2 daily and stop watering to dry all its foliage. This is the time it gathers heat energy to produce blooms in autumn. Remember not to water them to much as humidity level has gone up due to recent monsoon rains. Removing the bulb-lets from the mother bulb is true for all the bulbous plants. But my Nerines rarely produce any bulblets. They dont multiply easily and quickly as compared to rain lillies.

Potting medium is also very important, like most of the bulbs, Nerines dont do well in heavy clays. Sand along with patti ki khad and (crushed) manure is what i use. I have never used potash.
If they again didnt bloom this year treat them like amaryllis. Cut their leaves to 1 inch above the bulb in winters, and pull out the bulbs. Keep them in dry shade and them plant them in fresh medium after monsoon. That way they would be left with no reason for not blooming. ;)
So i do not water those dormant bulbs i bought from Awan gardens? If i do not water, how will they grow roots?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Water them very sparingly just so they don't shrivel out in the heat. Probably some water very two weeks and maybe non when the humidity kicks in. Which ones did you buy?
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

aykhan wrote:Water them very sparingly just so they don't shrivel out in the heat. Probably some water very two weeks and maybe non when the humidity kicks in. Which ones did you buy?
I bought a new variety called "unknown" :D
Lahore gardening blog
haris.kabir

Post by haris.kabir »

Water them but make sure u dont water them 'too much'. Did you get the bulbs this summer ?
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

haris.kabir wrote:Water them but make sure u dont water them 'too much'. Did you get the bulbs this summer ?
Yes I got bulbs on june 15th. Bulbs have no roots at all like fresh offsets but large bulbs.
Lahore gardening blog
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

My Nerine (i purchased from Pride Seeds last year, Black colored bulbs ) are in dormant stage now , iam watering them daily, shall i stop watering them now, ? my Lycoris are not completely dormant although they are semi dormant but some leaves reamaining , shall i stop watering them as well ? shall i pull them out and replant in SEP ??
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Haris does the Belladonna flower in our climate.from where you purchased the bulbs.its beauty in it self.if it flowers in our climate,i would plant a dozen of Belladonna.Nerine is also a beautiful bulb.do you grow crocus.
haris.kabir

Post by haris.kabir »

Syed Adnan wrote:My Nerine (i purchased from Pride Seeds last year, Black colored bulbs ) are in dormant stage now , iam watering them daily, shall i stop watering them now, ? my Lycoris are not completely dormant although they are semi dormant but some leaves reamaining , shall i stop watering them as well ? shall i pull them out and replant in SEP ??
Adnan, to be honest I have no idea what temp conditions you have there in KSA these days, so cant really comment on the watering thing. If it is too hot u can water them but if temp is in 30's C they dont need to be watered daily. For lycoris I must say stop watering them and let the leaves dry from the heat. When does summer end there ? If u have 3 months or more of hot summers then it is better to take them out and plant once summer ends. If the weather has changed or is about to change within a month or so dont disturb them.

Return to “Haris Kabir's Garden”