MY ROSES 2013

A Master Gardener and a Rosarian from Marden/Islamabad

Moderator: Izhar

rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Re: MY ROSES 2013

Post by rafique »

Beautiful blooms, healthy and shining leaves...
Rafique
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Well Asim yes i have lot of space.i used to grow vegies.but i have stopped vegies this year.i am going convert the vegies place into a beautiful lawn.we have received so many rains this spring.because of that i was not able to prepare the place for lawn.My garden is full of flowers but dominant with roses.the reason is i love roses so much that i have dropped many other plants.
Rafique sb yes you are right roses are difficult to ID.The reason is that roses are so much loved world wide that many work has been done & still in progress.every year thousands of crosses are made to achieve new varieties.Keep one thing in mind don,t weed your bushes regularly in hot summers.Weeds keep your bushes roots & stems cool in the hot summers.Do not sprinkle water over the foliage in afternoon & evenings.water deep in summers.dust with fungicides in Moonsoon on forthnightly bases.do not feed too much in summers.
Roses survives &live for many years.I have planted my first roses in 2004.Still they are flowering & are healthy plants.
Feed after the first flash of flowers is over & before the second flush.After second flash never feed when the heat is on.the next feeding time will be the time when you prune your roses.one more thing when you have pruned your roses cover the cuts with nail polish.this prevents the wood craker.you may have noticed that when you have pruned some tips start dying.this is a very serious threat to roses.the becteria enters through the fresh cuts & damages the entire & even kills the bush.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Very good tips Khan saheb. The nail polish idea is good. Another thing on pruning is to prune above an outward facing bud. This not only directs growth outward s thus improving circulation but the die back is minimal and stops at the bud.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Exactly Dr sb . you know when i started gardening i was very curious and wanted every thing in my garden.i tried so many annuals & bulbs & i really enjoyed.but with passage of time i developed some special love for roses,petunias,pansies,Snapdragons & Amaryllis.i don,t why it happened but it happened.i don,t even now plant Ranunculus which was must in my garden in the past.you are not intrested in birds.but i love them & the same case.Kept so many birds in past when i was a curious bird keeper but now i have stopped on Peafowl & Alex parrot.i want to see some 40 peafowls & 500 plus rose bushes in my garden in the near future.Ha ha ha so i think i m crazy for roses & peafowls Dr sb.
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Thanks for the very practical tips Umar bhai. Waiting for more rose pics and tips.
regards :)
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

I will post more tonight.
rafique
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

@Umar sb your all tips are valuable. i was really thinking about the soln that was in nail polish :) . when this bacteria starts effecting the plant then it can be so lethal to damage all plants. I had faced this problem last year.

I have a query ...please guide.
Is it good to cover the rose bushes with green shed(cloth) in hot summer days?
Rafique
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Season,s first double delight
Nancy Regan

Return to “Umar Khan's Garden”