Spring 2013

Our Most experienced and seasoned Gardener shares his Blooms

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Spring 2013

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

The problem with us is that we want to have every plant in our garden. DIG Tanweer in his garden spread over acres used only six plants, basically it was petunia and pense in every colour but separate colours were planted in blocks.
Next year I am also restricting to a few.

Dhatura
Out of three at my house, one was left alone and main stem of others were cut these are making good round bushes.
Un-trimmed

Trimmed
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Once I was in love with Hibiscus, they were all over I had 13 different varieties. They had to go to make space for other plants, now I nave only four tropical Hibiscus and this is the one I like the most. I saw the plant at a farm, liked it so much that I took some tip cuttings, it is with me ever since.

In sun

In shade

Arif
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

great brig saheb very healthy and attractive hibiscus.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Very true Brig saheb. I myself have discovered in mere 2 years of gardening that I am a perennial gardener my passion being a) fragrant blooms and b) unique blooms. That is why my focus on gardenias, jasmines, roses and then hibiscus, amaryllis, daylilies and unique vines and bulbs. Next year for annuals I think I'll just have mostly petunias, phlox, cineraria and maybe a few pots of digitalis and salvia.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@Sir Arif. Sir I have a humble submission…..

Gardening Pakistan is maybe the only interactive source for gardeners in Pakistan. HSP is a Dead body when it comes to education regarding gardening. They maybe publicizing, but that is not enough. This being said, what is Gardening Pakistan, its few old hands such as you, who radiate their life time experiences. I call you an institution. The iconic Phooloo wali Kothi

Institutes such as you pass through decades of journey, experiencing all that is possible, possible to grow and then make preferences based on their experience. We have to let beginners experience this journey at full, make them attempt all possible plants as you must have, So that their journey is rich. This journey will enable them to select plants based on their liking, efforts they can give, difficulty level and success.

Any tinge of preferences from "Institutes" will cause subliminal change as their every word inspires follower-ship.
Lets Usher "them" to the hard way, in a controlled fashion. Primary to Masters....no skipping

I am sure DIG Tanweer in his long career of gardening, must have tried many plants. Maybe all, And finally when he has reached some pinnacle of his gardening, he has shortlisted some plants depending upon his likings and efforts available. This selection has only been possible by test & trial. If he has done it only by watching some garden or on somebody’s advice, in essence he has failed in his journey of gardening for he has not tasted every fruit and fault fully decided what is best.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Well said Farhan, I have learnt a lot from this forum, I am re-trying many plant I had already given up and with some success. Every plant has its place in a garden only one has to make sure that it is at the right place if not it can ruin the land scape.
Thank you for appriciating my efforts.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by AhmadIrfan »

I also visited dig tanveers garden a few days ago I loved the landscaping but too be honest I was hardly surprised at the limited number of annuals he planted, Arif sb your garden at home maybe small in size compared to his garden but definately offers more, I plant annuals and love too see the maximum potential of invidual plants and I am slowly acquring knowledge about vines and perennials but I am still a kid in your years of experince.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@AhmedIrfan...exactly. Sir's garden gives richness. Uniqueness with every sight......Diversity as in nature.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Big sb i don,t know about DIG Tanveer but i am very limited now.i have grown so many annuals in past but for the last five-six years i am growing mainly Petunias,pansies & Snapdragons all in separate colors.i don,t know but i don,t like mix colors in annuals.i have even dropped my most favorite annual Ranunculus Blooming dale as it is not available in separate colors.Although my garden is not in acres but a small one.some time i think to my self my roses should also be in separate colors but i don,t wanna take any risk.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

farhan137 wrote:@AhmedIrfan...exactly. Sir's garden gives richness. Uniqueness with every sight......Diversity as in nature.
Yes diversity is the beauty of nature, every plant has its own place in the garden, setting them at the right place is the real Chalange.

Return to “Brig Arif's Garden”