earning from growing

What is a Garden? Intellectual Debates, Gardening Fun & Quotes

Moderator: Izhar

saeed
City: Islamabad

earning from growing

Post by saeed »

As every member of this forum grow plants for his/her entire satisfaction, so it is not bad to talk about ideas of growing to earn money. We have high unemployment and recession and growing could help meeting these challenges. I have seen trucks and huge containers of plants unloading at nurseries of Islamabad. They come from Pattoki and probably from Thailand. Why we can not grow these plants here.
I hope members of the forum would not blow my words in the air and would talk in detail about what to grow, how to sell etc.
Regards
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: earning from growing

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Basically it is a forum for amateur gardeners. each having his/her own specific interest.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

All those plants can be grown here but I guess one has to get into that buissiness. You dont want to grow a couple and to grow hundreds means you are going in the buissiness full time. People on this forum are amateur gardeners and mostly involved professionally elsewhere so I do not think you'll get productive answers to depend on from here to start your buissiness. I see nursery people taking the shortcut and buying expensive plants and selling them at doule the price. I do not think they need to make their own and then selll for much less since it requires a lot more work and professionalism and its not worth their time and money.
Mrs REhman
City: islamabad
Gardening Interests: organic, kithcen gardening in pots

Post by Mrs REhman »

my father had been doing this, but after three years, he left it since he wanted to develop a fruit orchard, and could not make a nursery since he himself is not a good budder (to graft the plants, especially the fruit plants) and could get hold of an experianced one. another problem was to sell of the hatrvest in market. till now, he was successful in growing organic nectrine, peaches of two three varieties and some other fruits, but the local market would not pay much for the harvest, and he could not send it to mandies since it is full of the midle man monoply. he imported seeds of some flowers from holland, again it had to be bought in bulk, since you cannot import seeds in packets, has been selling them in lahore and islamabad markets, ()he was growing gladiolous) ultimately he developed a blackish maroon glad as well, but after experiancing the monoply of commission agents in the local markets he dropped the project after 3 years. now he just works with the fruit orchard.

Return to “Soul of Gardening”