What is a Garden? Intellectual Debates, Gardening Fun & Quotes

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Can Nursery be called a Garden?

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Let me rephrase my question.........

Lets say there is a huge mega mart....it has everything from furniture to electronics and from groceries to garments. Everything that a person has in his home.

Can we call that "Super Market'...........home?????????

Until now we have Age and permanency criteria has narrated by Farooq Sb
Tahir Sb suggests Love and non-profiteering.
Sir Arif suggests that nursery, a growing area or you can say intensive care unit can be part of a garden.
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

b)No
:)

Gardens needs love and time along with care. In nursery plants are taken care to sell only.
Rafique
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

farhan137 wrote:Hmmmm Farooq Sb & Tahir Sb......meaningby you are saying that other than all the gardening activities.....there is something else which is required for a plant collection to be a garden........

What is that thing......????
Farhan bhai you already know the answer to this question :) from where did you start your garden from?? from nothing.... and transformed it into an inspiration for all... all winter and spring we enjoyed every bit of update you gave about your garden.... i believe a garden is a place were us like minded people stand together and share our love for gardening, nature, share plants, seeds, experience... encourage our young ones to jump in this fascinating world.... a Nursery or as Farooq sb pointed out a garden center will not give us these privileges except... bargaining over a plant that one loves so much but could not afford to buy it... why don't the nursery person understand his love for that plant... PROFIT!!
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:A nursery can be a section of a garden and not vice versa.
We all have little nurseries in our homes where we raise plants from seeds/cuttings and when they are able to withstand harsh of the climate we transfer them to our gardens :)
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

well said tahir bhai.. :mrgreen: .main difference is love with plants..if their is precious and rare plant in nursery and we want to buy nursery man will ask for a price less or more.but if we have an ordinary plant in our garden and any gardener asks for it we will give him free as a gift but not for price..it is a complete difference between two gardens one is for profit and one is for pleasure and joy of heart... :mrgreen:
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@Hamad Bhai.......Love for plants or love for growing? like upbringing a child?

Or so to say if you like a plant at a Shop/Nursery and you want it for yourself. You buy it, give it a place in your garden.......then what?
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

hakraza wrote:well said tahir bhai.. :mrgreen: .main difference is love with plants..if their is precious and rare plant in nursery and we want to buy nursery man will ask for a price less or more.but if we have an ordinary plant in our garden and any gardener asks for it we will give him free as a gift but not for price..it is a complete difference between two gardens one is for profit and one is for pleasure and joy of heart... :mrgreen:
Totally agreed.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Rafique Sb ....Thankyou

So we have an agreement on love. Now we need to know what kind of love is this...

Sorry Tahir Bhai, my concepts needs realignment, please bear with me and help me out.

Request someone to answer the query

"Lets say there is a huge mega mart....it has everything from furniture to electronics and from groceries to garments. Everything that a person has in his home.

Can we call that "Super Market'...........home?????????"

Or lets say that mega mart conducts a mega Sunday Bazaar, can that Mega Bazaar.......be called home?
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

point cleared farhan bhai there is a big super market and there is present every household item.now your question can we call it home answer is no :lol: because in home we can use every item which we have in other words the items which we have in home they are for our use we use them to make our life easy but the items present in super market are for sale owner of the market can only watch and can do dusting he cannot get comfort from them because he is aware with the fact they he in not real owner all items are for sale ...same is situation with nursery and garden the plants which are present in nursery are for clients nursery man is working on them to prepare them for sale and plants which are present in garden are our own we have paid for them or grown them from seed so we get pleasure from them and wish they live with us longer and nursery man is in difficult position when plants grow from limits ... :P so although i am not fluent in English and cannot elaborate it clearly but it is try to give answers of your question... :roll: and only a creative mind like you can create such question.great farhan bhai..
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@Hakraza Sb..........WOW. Excellent point "USE"

What a wonderful reply. You mean to say if i visit a garden and i can not use the plants placed there.....then that garden can not be called garden???????

You mean to say we need to own something to call it a home or garden for ourselves.....Totally agreed.
I Guess we can not USE the plants at Nursery or display untill and unless purchased so that can not be called a Garden? Correct me where wrong

BUT THIS IS NOT ALL :-) .........i still have lots of questions and queries to clear out.

Lets say i visit your garden.....plants are owned by you, not me......but still that would be a garden for me? WHY?????????

Return to “Soul of Gardening”