Is gardening a permanent hobby?

What is a Garden? Intellectual Debates, Gardening Fun & Quotes

Moderator: Izhar

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Is gardening a permanent hobby?

Post by khabbab »

Some hobbies become part of your life for ever, some are just temporary. Which one gardening lies in? I know it varies person to person but generally speaking the passion of gardening, the happiness you get when you grow a plant successfully, does that continue for ever or it subsides after few years or so?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Is gardening a permanent hobby?

Post by Izhar »

It depends, as i am gardening since i was a child, i have other hobbies too like ornamental fish keeping and birds... i drift between my hobbies time to time, sometime 'm more towards fish keeping, sometimes towards gardening ...but the interest never declines completely...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I DONT KNOW, it is with me only for a little over sixty years. May be when I die I would still be sowing seeds (not human). :D
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:I DONT KNOW, it is with me only for a little over sixty years. May be when I die I would still be sowing seeds (not human). :D
now you have an answer Khabbab bhai... :mrgreen:
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

If it would be a hobby it would change, hobbies do change with the passage of time like stamp collecting, reading story books, cricket playing, swimming, baking etc. etc. but gardening in my opinion is a habit and habit never changes because it is the representative of one's mind it penetrates the mind and lives in it forever, i know people who has this habit and they continue it until end of their life. Moreover, gardening and pets keeping ( by the way i have fish, trained parrots , hens and many other pets at home from child hood) are representative of one's personality, it shows the soft nature of one's personality and gardening is the best gift we can teach to our children , my son is already under my traning and he takes keen interest , it shows them the caring the nature and will become part of his personality in future.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

i have been gardening for the past 15 years everyday i wake up at 6 am in the morning and go for a stroll in my gardens and notice the everyday changes in my garden and to be honest everyday there is something new to cherish,i think of new ways to change and improve my garden, i wouldnt call it a hobby rather a life style that i have adopted even when i am aborad i am always worried about my plants and call up my malli for all the details.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

From my child hood i m in love with plants.its a craze,its passion which never ends.specially when it comes to hobby plants like roses,dahlias,gereniums,lilies.cactus it never ends.these plants have no limits.my taste only changed with passage of time.i turned out from bulbs & annuals to roses.for me rose is my passion.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I tend to agree with the opinion that it is a lifestyle. Just reading the posts above I find that I already have so many things in common with fellow gardeners. I also worry about my plants when I'm abroad, I also stroll in my garden in the morning noticing the subtle changes daily and it is a true passion now for the past more than a year. For me it started when I returned from the US and was remodeling the house. The last part was making the grass in the lawn look decent. It never ended from there. I do not think this is something one can loose altogether with time since the more you get into it the more you realize the plant kingdom is so big and there is so much to try new and so many things to prefect and experiment with.
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Cannot agree more with the rest. Love for plants becomes our second nature and that typically originates in the childhood. There are common traits among all of us i.e. appreciation of nature in general, and appreciation of plants as a wonderful gift from God.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I am confused, is it a hobby, a life style or to my mind an incurable Disease?
Or may be an addiction.

Return to “Soul of Gardening”