Iris Bulbs

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Iris Bulbs

Post by Hamad »

A-O-A

I bought Iris Bulbs but usually Iris has Rhizomes. This is for the first time I bought Iris Bulbs dose someone has any experience of having Dutch iris bulbs I need to know couple of information about them.

what time they bloom?
what is their dormant time?
do we need to dig them up and store them when they are dormant?
because usually the Rhizomes can survive in soil how to deal with the bulbs and any tips for growing and care

following is the pictorial description

dutch iris flowers
iris flower.png
iris flower.png (120.82 KiB) Viewed 6297 times
iris bulbs
iris bulbs.png
iris bulbs.png (111.89 KiB) Viewed 6297 times
normal iris rhizmoes
iris rhizomes.jpg
iris rhizomes.jpg (13.77 KiB) Viewed 6297 times
looking forward for your participation
please do share any info that you have

thanks in anticipation

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Iris Bulbs

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

These are Dutch Iris.Hamad D.I will not flower next year.i don,t know here how will they perform.But at Abbottabad i use to leave them in the soil & next season they bounce back.Hamad frankly speaking the Bearded Iris is more beautiful but is not easily available in our local markets.Hamad i have seen that Freesia performs very well & naturalize.i,l plant a bed Freesias Inshallah.my last years Fressias left in soil bounced back & are flowering.so i,l plant some more in separate colors.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

My past experience with bulb Iris was a failure as they never bloomed next year.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

My experience is worse, even the first year.5 planted,2 sprouted,week growth & none bloomed so far. By the way, when are they expected to bloom?
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

thank you for sharing your experiences inshAllah I will keep this information in my mind and will keep you guys updated with my blooms or experience because I already purchased them now have no choice other than to plant them and yes Umar I m looking forward to plant the bearded one and one question about your freesia, were they in pots or in soil when they were dormant and any tip for keeping them in soil or you just left them in soil just like anyother dormant bulbs

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

DutchIris-BedArea.jpg
Dutch Iris tend to sprout every year for me faithfully. I only bought them once or twice back in 2007 or 2008 and every year they tend to sprout in the same area where they were planted originally. The key to planting them is in a well drained soil bed located higher than the ground level and keep that area strictly reserved for them. Enclosed is a recent picture of my bed area covered with Dutch Iris. I believe they also tend to self seed which form bulbs in the coming year. Dutch Iris tend to bloom from March till April. They are worth buying and Asiastic Lilliums can also be planted along them which also tend to sprout a little later.

Apart from Dutch Irises, i have also grown Bearded and Louisiana Irises of which the latter is more ideally situated for our climate. Unlike Dutch or Bearded Irises, Louisiana Irises tend to thrive in ponds or boggy alkaline soil are. The key is to plant them in an area where they get sunshine from morning till noon as to protect them from the scorching summer heat. These Irises tend to bloom throughout March toApril. The best thing about Louisiana Irises is they multiply fast. I have eight to 10 varieties of these irises. (Attached are some pictures of Louisiana Irises (Cest Si Bon, Delta Star, Bold Pretender and Anne Chowning).

Bearded Irises are more fussier. Out of 12 bulbs imported from USA, only 5 survived despite optimal conditions. Out of these five only 1 Bearded Iris bloomed (Picture enclosed of Memories of Harvest). They comparatively need more care and can bloom given the right soil with the required ingredients.

Imran Khurram based in Lahore
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Bearded Iris- Memories of Harvest
Bearded Iris- Memories of Harvest
i was unable to attached some pictures of Louisiana Irises and Bearded Iris in my earlier post submitted a few minutes earlier. Here they are.
Attachments
Louisiana Iris Cest Si Bon
Louisiana Iris Cest Si Bon
Louisiana Iris-Anne Chowning
Louisiana Iris-Anne Chowning
LouisianaIris-Ann-Chowning.jpg (17.6 KiB) Viewed 6246 times
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

wow finally a sign of hope!!!!!! thanks for sharing the information I really do appreciate that would you be able to tell me any tips for growing them in pots because I’m not sure if I will be able to grow them in a bed because of two reasons, 1 my flower beds get disturb every season and they are not raised rather they are deep so good drainage will also be an issue, and would you also like to give a life detail about their life cycle.

you got some good collection I really like it ;) thanks again for sharing and the colours are also very beautiful

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

mikhurram
Very nice collection of iris, specially the red one. I also used to leave my dutch iris bulbs in the ground and even planted other perennials in the same bed. They survived, multiplied and flowered for many years. But as you mentioned, the place had an excellent drainage. Good drainage is critical for most bulbs, less a few marsh/swamp species. Thanks for sharing the pics. :)
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

So its a green signal to plant some Dutch Iris in clumps.if they are great success at Lahore then i can try it at Mardan.mikhurram thanks for so much useful information.

Return to “Questions and Problems”