KAM's garden.

Showcase your garden. Tell us what is flowering around you.

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: KAM's garden.

Post by aykhan »

So while we're having a blast tearing apart the blunders of malis here's another one :D You will often see them place the "thikri" on the drainage hole such that it totally blocks the hole. When they are told to do the other way around so that water water can drain freely they think the ide was to hold the water and not let it drain!!
KAMasud
City: RawalPindi

Post by KAMasud »

Agreed but you will have to agree that they are poor and trying to keep their body and soul together in the meagre wages they get. Their interest is survival and they also know what the bottom hole is for. In the heat in this area this is one of their ways of survival. Their ways not exactly in the best interest of the plant. They do it in order to water log the pot so that they dont have to water twice or thrice a day. It is ok as long as they are dealing with barani plants but we, its our fault. We love to keep exotic plants and there the mallis are on the high seas with out a paddle. :lol: So. Gardenias and other plants of that type, Adeniums for example, they hate the poor malli so much that they give up and die.
This Gandhi Bogan type is the one on which the nursery wallas graft their five colour Bogans on.
Regards,
KAMasud

Post by KAMasud »

Aacha another observation but this can only be verified by the ones whose interest lies in fruit trees but this holds true for other plants as well and it also concerns the root system.
There are two types of roots, the thick exploratory roots and the hair fine fibrous roots. While the function of the thick woody roots can be kept aside for the time being while we concentrate on the fine, silvery roots. The plants nutritional needs are fulfilled by the web (jalla) of fine roots. Mostly these roots are under the canopy of the tree. The canopy holds dead insects, dust and Allah knows what else. All these are micro-nutrients. When it rains these nutrients wash down from the canopy on to the mat of fibrous roots and it is taken up by the plants. Fruit tree growers have to remove this mat every year so that new roots grow, plus stay under the canopy. The jallla of the fruit trees has to be damaged or removed. Well this theory also holds true for other plants.
I have been in the rural circuit now for a long time. Every now and then some villagers comes to me. Arif sb we have this gorgeous mango tree fruiting from our grandfathers days which has now stoped fruiting. Then i go stand under the offending tree whose canopy is at least one kanal plus. You should see the horror on their faces when i tell them to bring their tractors with raja hull (plow) and i get the entire area under the canopy ripped up. I rip it in order to destroy this jalla. The tree goes into a moderate shock but by next season its fruiting. Fruit tree wallas am i wrong about the jalla (fine fiber roots)?
The above example was a bit extreme but these mango trees are huge.
Regards.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Masud you are very right.we feed our fruit trees.we mix manure & NPK into the soil around the trunk.not near to the trunk.what we want is to mix fertilizers near the fibrous roots.the silvery hair type roots actually takes the the fertilizer.the fibrous roots are spread as the canopy is spread.but this thing the home gardener does not under stand.we have our orchard gardeners,the baghbans.now a days who can do nothing becomes a mali.so they do real damage.there is one point they don,t even bother to ask you what to do.My mali at Mardan is good & well skilled.but at Islamabad.i would say he is not even mali.he dug up my precious double Amaryllis bulbs & thrown them.when gone there i come to know he did like that.what i think mali problem is really a problem in big cities.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

I think Masud you are talking of the common bogin,Gandhia.the red pink flowered one.yes it is used as root stock at Hyderabad.one thing is there its flowering power is more than any other bogin.
KAMasud

Post by KAMasud »

Jee sir jee. Now tell me Gandhi is a variety used as root stock for the five colour grafted Bogans that are going at a minimum for 5000. I found that out when i looked into the flower. Formoosa is another very old variety, it is a purple y kind of thing but it flowers abundantly, more flowers then leaves. The shade is very striking.
Regards.

[Edit by Admin, PM sent]
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

K A Masud, intrigues me, My name sake is obviously a well educated and well read person, My guess, a land lord from a place between Kahoota and River Jehlem, currently building a house on his ancestral land in his ancestral town.

His profession I know not, does he plan to live there or will it be a visiting house. The former will require a high care plantation and later a low care. The selection of plants will also depend on availability of water.
Developing a garden is very challenging and interesting. I am working on one for the last three years and the plantation is yet not complete.
KAMasud

Post by KAMasud »

No, not a land lord but a retired sailor. As educated as the rest of us, with our own institution generated degrees and kudos.
Regards.
Arif Masud. The K is for the Khan which points me in the direction of Rajjar land, Mardan.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

KAMasud wrote:No, not a land lord but a retired sailor. As educated as the rest of us, with our own institution generated degrees and kudos.
Regards.
Arif Masud. The K is for the Khan which points me in the direction of Rajjar land, Mardan.
What do you like to be addressed as Arif or Masud?
Regards
Retired soldier
Arif
KAMasud

Post by KAMasud »

No preference as such but am known as "KAM" to quite a few. Its a habit of some institutions (traditions) to do that with a name.
Arif ;D "Walli Allah" is my given name but its pretty heavy so i run from it. :lol: Known quite a few Arif's but few survive. Must be some thing in a name. Dont know about your experiences in life concerning names.
Regards.

Return to “What is blooming in your Garden?”