hot weather...

Articles related to climate and Weather Alerts!

Moderator: Izhar

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

hot weather...

Post by Izhar »

I dont know if anybody else is experiencing this... but my all plants (except for few) are struggling... the daylilies have majority leaves yellow and dry, Vigna caracalla has dropped almost all of its flower buds :( , largestromia leaves are turning brown... I used to water once a day in the morning but nowadays it becomes dry in the middle of the day .. poor things wilt completely and have to water lightly in evening...

But during this heat some plants are producing buds and blooms like my Mina lobata vine & Variegated gardenia... the Jasmine vine is setting fruits, Poinsettia has started growing quickly.. so how are your gardens ??
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: hot weather...

Post by tweedle2009 »

My adeniums are dropping leaves but making buds and flowering in masses.Daylilies are doing fine.Just stopped flowering.Vigna Caracalla will turn yellow for sure in winter but I expect it to turn start turning yellow next month.Ferraria crispa have started sprouting.Gerberas gearing up for flowering.Paulownia seeds germinating like crazy whereas Aristolochia gigantea and grandiflora are doing fine.Red torch ginger rhizomes are waiting for their turn to be planted in the soil.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

My perennials are struggling as well may be due to temperature difference of day/night. The echinacea was doing so well is in bad shape. My snail vine is losing leaves although it was flowering at this time last year. The hyacinth bean vine is blooming like crazy. Some of my rain lilies are still blooming. My seedlings of mandevilla laxa, rubber vine, bignonia capreolata, wintersweet all have retarded growth. But this may be because of non feeding. Wisteria is growing like crazy as always.

Probably this is the punjabi month we call "Assu" in punjab here. The temp. difference is heavy on plants. And indian motia struggles specially in this time. One bad thing in the recent rains was that you have to manually check whether rain water has gone deep enough or not. Apparently the soil is wet and you think that okay plants are well watered but actually rain water just soaked the upper few inches of soil and not beneath.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Izhar wrote:, Vigna caracalla has dropped almost all of its flower buds :( ,
Izhar Don't tell me your snail vine did not bloom for you. Did you try boron for bud dropping issue? I hope the temp. difference is not the issue because it is almost out of your control.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Khabbab bhai... I'll look into this thing, thankyou... you know how I am feeling... waiting a whole season to see it blooming and it dropped, almost mature, flower buds... :cry:
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

I hope a couple of rainfalls will help your plants thrive. My plants aren't doing very well despite regular care.
Make some extra cash sharing your gardening knowledge... Write articles on http://xyzGardening.com to earn ongoing revenues through a revenue sharing model.
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mirafzalkhan »

This is not hot weather which is doing this, most of our country cross 40 oC in summer & these days the max temperature is in the range of 30-33 oC for only two to three hours. Actually this is dry weather. In day time with the raise of temperature humidity decreases upto the 20% and in nights with drop of temperature it raise upto the 70%. High temperature and less humidity mean very rapid evaporation. The deciduous plants shed their leaves to counter this natural phenomenon but the plants that have not this ability show struggling signs. The mature plants survive this period but new growing wouldn’t.
Izhar, I think khabbab is right about your snail vine. Deficiency of Boron is the major cause of dropping bud or fruit.

Return to “Gardening & Weather”