Dhalias

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Dhalias

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

All the dahlias bought here came back and I took cuttings successfully. However all these were put in pots not left in the ground. It's the tubers purchased outside which are problematic. This is because they sell starting June and that is when ours here are ending. So these dormant tubers need to be saved several months in the heat and I lost 90% of mine ...AY KHAN

Way back I was very fond of Dahlias. I used to sow them in August to start getting flowers by December, but I hated the drooping of the flowers so I shifted to Kashmir Dahlias with big face up flowers, the storage in sand failed as I could not keep the required moisture, same if left in pot. Those left in the ground did survive and would sprout in August while it is still hot. The overall result was no good until I learnt that for best results you have to get cuttings from the sprouted tubers.
I gave up growing them as only a few this size plant can be accommodated in a small garden so I buy a few every year and again I get disappointed as the plants being sold are in full bloom transferred to the pot evening before, The small cutting plants are not being sold.
This September I will look for the rooted cuttings.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: Dhalias

Post by aykhan »

My experience is similar. The cuttings do best.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Dhalias

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Dahlias from cuttings are best bloomers in plains.tubers do not flower in second year i think they may be need chill hours.Brig sb i used to grow Dahlias at Abbottabad & they used to come true to type & best bloomers but here at Mardan it was totally opposite.the tubers bounce back but failed to flower.what can be the reason.can it the difference of climate.At Abbottabad Dahlia along Mari gold Inca & Zinnia Peter pan usually blooms in summer months till first frost.i really miss that quality of blooms i used to see in my house at Abbottabad & the summer also.

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”