Decorative DAHLIAS

Moderator: Izhar

UMAR KHAN

Re: Decorative DAHLIAS

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Khabbab Chrysanthemums are beautiful but flowers are for very few days.i,l get my Dahlias this sunday.its also seasons for the tuberous Rananculus.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

I might go to Isloo after Eid, I could bring them back with me if I do go. Khabbab how much will the cuttings cost in Lahore you think? From where can we them?
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

UMAR KHAN wrote:Khabbab Chrysanthemums are beautiful but flowers are for very few days.i,l get my Dahlias this sunday.its also seasons for the tuberous Rananculus.
That is true. Mums are not as long blooming as dahlias. But i love their flowers. Lahore temperature is still too hot to plant dahlia cuttings. It seems Mardan is on higher altitude than lahore.

Tuberous ranunculus we plant in late october in lahore. I have personally experienced that early planted bulbs yield poor flowers in lahore climate. Only paperwhites can be planted early.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

aykhan wrote:I might go to Isloo after Eid, I could bring them back with me if I do go. Khabbab how much will the cuttings cost in Lahore you think? From where can we them?
Hmmm actually we need to book the order before Eid if we want the cuttings in seperate colors. But cuttings cost the same even in lahore. Around 20-25 Rs per cutting. We can get from lahore nursery or abbas nurery even from pride seeds and other seeds shops.
Lahore gardening blog
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I guess it only makes sense to then get them from Lahore.
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

I agree. Although the ones available from lahore do not have much variety bloom wise. Not much cactus flowered, anemone flowered or pompoms, most were same bloom shape with some varied colors.
Lahore gardening blog
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

yes you are absolutly right Khabbab the weather is still hot for cool season crop but i dont want to miss the cuttings.the demand is so high for dahlia some times they run out before the mid of SEP.I use to plant the cuttings in 7" pots and keep them in shady place.in the second week of sep i shift them to large pots,keep them in protected place from frost.in NOV they flower but i plant them after DEC when the danger of frost is passed.thats the real time to enjoy the hudge blooms!.Cactus,semi cactus are rear because they are not high in demands.Decoratives are readly avaiable.mums are extremly beautiful but the blooming time is very few days.tuberous ranunculs i dont have much knowledage because i prefer F1 Blooming dale from seeds.
rafique
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Then we should wait till eid, as i also contacted the more green. they said that most of the seedlings will be available after eid and we can book on phone. they planted most of them in murree these days and will get in lahore after eid.
although the chrysanthemum are short duration flowers but they have really beauty. i really wait them for whole year. they pay back in that short time with their beauty,color and abundunce of flowers.
Rafique
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Rafique problem is not avaibility.actuall mater is what the seeds stores & nursery men are giving to u.i only go to those whom i have experinced.Sarfaraz delivers u exactly the stuff he tells u.unfortunately in our country u can not trust every one.chandin sold me spider lily instead of amaryllis.i think u can understand my view point
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I agree Umar. The magnolia liliifera I bought for 1500 is something else. It bloomed 3 months after I bought it and that's how I know!

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”