Pruning Roses!!!

Moderator: Izhar

Rafaiy
City: Rawalpindi

Pruning Roses!!!

Post by Rafaiy »

A0A!

Hope all the gardeners and their plants are healthy :) ....here mali´s have already started pruning roses but i am still not sure if its the right time....waiting for fellow gardeners to throw light on the issue....

Thanxs
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Pruning Roses!!!

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

in my little experience this is early as pruning will cause new buds which can be damaged by frost if you have any in your area. I am located in Risalpur and here we have mass rose plantations. Malis prune them here in mid/late January when most of the frost danger is over.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Farhan you are well exp.you are very right you will prune roses when all danger of frost is past.prune when you expect its an end of frost.rember Rafaiy pruning is very good but if you prune on the wrong time,you will kill all bushes.Pruning as Farhan said stimulates new growth.if done now the frost will kill all the new buds.i use to prune my roses from last week of DEC -mid Jan depending on the local weather.Peshawar,Mardan & Rwp climte is not very different.so don,t prune now.
Store old cow manure & purchase NPK or if NPK is not available then DAP.once you have pruned all roses mix manure into the soil & apply NPK or DAP & water the bed deeply.this will help in stimulating healthy buds.At Lahore its the right time to prune because the climate is slightly warmer than Rwp plus they do not receive as heavy frost as Rwp.
another thing you have to purchase before pruning is Imeda cliopard.normally when the buds sprouts are attacked by aphids(thela).as soon as you note it on your bushes spray all bushes with Imeda clopard.thats all for roses.
Rafaiy
City: Rawalpindi

Post by Rafaiy »

Thanxs for guiding me...was a bit confused because the Mali´s at bahria town and jinnah park have already pruned their roses...

Return to “Roses”