Suggest a Palm for outdoors in Okara

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Suggest a Palm for outdoors in Okara

Post by KBW »

Okara has quite a hot climate. Summers are dry and harsh, specially May through July when the heat wave is known to burn the plant foliage. Soil is generally saline with an average pH of 9. What palms would you suggest for outdoor areas with no shade and protection? Would appreciate help.

regards
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Suggest a Palm for outdoors in Okara

Post by KBW »

Any suggestions?
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

KBW wrote:Okara has quite a hot climate. Summers are dry and harsh, specially May through July when the heat wave is known to burn the plant foliage. Soil is generally saline with an average pH of 9. What palms would you suggest for outdoor areas with no shade and protection? Would appreciate help.

regards
Is it true of your area or for the whole Okara? It seems unbelievably hostile soil for plants.
The only name that comes to mind is date palm- it is said to survive salinity and alkaline pH but I think you are looking for decorative palms.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Alexander,Queen & may be Foxtail.the first two do not need protection against frost in winters.they also survive the hot summers plus they are very decorative palms as they are feather leaf palms.Fox tail is not frost hardy in Islamabad but i think its frost hardy at Lahore.a member from Lahore can comment best about this most beautiful palm.Ahmad is well experienced in palms from Lahore.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Thanks for the input.

Weather and soil of Okara is not at all plant friendly. There is something strange about this area. There is no poblem in Pattoki and there is not much of problem in Sahiwal aswell, but in Okara which lies in the centre, its a different story. I will not plant these palms directly in the local soil. I have got a reasonable medium prepared which includes 50 % leaf mould (three years old), 50 % bhal and few kgs of gypsum mixed in it. A large size pit will be dug so that the plant roots do not come in contact with the local soil for a year or so and that will solve the pH problem for a while. That is quite a hard work but without this, the plants may not be able to survive the harsh summers here. The location is also very important and I will avoid day long direct sun. At the same time, winters are also quite harsh and this year, we saw mercury dropping to minus two degrees C. This aspects is also to be kept in mind. With proper homework however, I am hopeful that if I the selection is appropriate, plants will be able to survive.

Now the plants. I agree, various varieties of Phoenix Palm thrive well in Okara. Since I need large size palms, Phonex roebelenii is out but canariansis is a good option and I have already arranged for around three canariansis cultivars. Fishtail, Foxtail, Queen, Alexandera, Triangle, Senegal, Bismarkia, Revenia, Washingtonia are some of the names that come to mind and I would need your suggestions on that. Bottle palm thrives very well here but there are already many of them around so I need something new. I would appreciate any guidance / suggestions.

regards
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

We planted Bismarkia here in Risalpur, though its surviving but experiences excessive leaf burn in summers.
aneeq247
City: Lahore

Post by aneeq247 »

I live in Lahore and the summers here are very harsh, especially during the months May-July. Im growing foxtails and alexandras without any problems, but I have to cover them with green cloth in these three months to prevent the foliage from burning.
KBW
Donor
Donor

Post by KBW »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I will go along with various varieties Phoenix Palm, Phoenix rupicola and Phoenix canariansis being the mainstay plants. However, for sheltered locations I will also go for a Queen, Bismarkia, Fishtail, Foxtail, Alexandera and Ravenia. BTW, I love the texture of Phoenix rupicola though. :)
grealpasp
City: New York
Gardening Interests: Cooking

side effects for doxycycline monohydrate

Post by grealpasp »

Betaxolol and timolol are also commonly used as prophylactic treatment for prolonging the onset of glaucoma in the fellow eye of dogs with primary glaucoma. <a href=https://buydoxycyclineon.com/>doxycycline 100mg twice a day for 7 days</a> approximately 476, 000 people are diagnosed and treated for Lyme disease on a yearly basis, which may be an overestimate based on presumptive diagnosis, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
actilla
City: New York
Gardening Interests: Cooking

buy generic stromectol

Post by actilla »

<a href=http://stromectol.autos/>how to take stromectol</a> kytril misoprostol santiago Thus, sustainable, community based surveillance and vector management programs are critical, particularly in metropolitan areas with a history of West Nile virus and large human populations at risk, they continued

Return to “Questions and Problems”