Some of My Succulents

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Some of My Succulents

Post by mikhurram »

Generally i am not fond of succulents but this variety is an exception.

Agave victoriae-reginae which grows very slowly.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Re: Some of My Succulents

Post by Tahir Khan »

Lovely, i believe it is the compact variety, Agave victoriae-reginae compacta. succulents are addictive if one starts to collect them, have you tried Haworthias ?
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

beautiful and healthy specimen.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

by Tahir Khan » April 16th, 2014, 6:21 am
IP:

Lovely, i believe it is the compact variety, Agave victoriae-reginae compacta. succulents are addictive if one starts to collect them, have you tried Haworthias ?
I have yet to try them but i am no longer adding any further items to my limited succulent collection as it has become difficult to keep track of all the items. Now my emphasis is more on managing existing collection keeping those which i fancy and tossing aside others whom i feel do not merit a place in my garden.

Aloe Vera's

Note: i had listed the name of some different types of Aloe Vera's in the plant database section. Those interested in knowing the names can click the url listed below.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3353&p=32025&hilit=aloe#p32025
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Kalanchoe's

Desi Kalanchoe which comes in Red and Orange colour and is hardy compared to Thai cultivars shown below. I feel it's still worth a try grafting the Thai hybrids by using the Desi Kalanchoe as the base plant.

Below are the Thai hybrids

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Very nice collection in good colours.
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

These Thai hybrids are amazing. Sir, what is the growth rate of these double kalanchoes, slow or fast like the single and normal ones ?

One other thing, please move the Aloes to a shaded location as they get sun burnt during the hottest months of the summer. Furthermore, the colour and health of the plants will also improve if placed in a semi-shaded location, apply monthly 20-20-20 soluble fertilizer to the soil half the amount recommended for normal garden plants.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

The growth rate of double Kalanchoes is slower than our local Kalanchoes. Also they are not as hardy as our indigenous Kalanchoes but come in various shapes & colours.

Thank you Tahir for the information. All of my Kalanchoe's are placed in a semi-shade location as you are right that they do get sun-burnt especially during May, June, July and August. During the growth season i usually apply a foliar spray of Tomato Fertlizer (having NPK 5:5:10) which is convenient as it's suitable for all of my rhizomes, bulbs, roses and even vines.

EUPHORBIA (Spurges)
Marked by evergreen foliage, the genus Euphorbia possibly contains the most diverse range consisting of unusual colours and shapes.

Euphorbia mili is the most common variety often seen in gardens. It's unusual ‘flowers’ which appear to be petals in reality are bracts, highly modified and sometimes gaudily coloured leaves protecting the small male & female flowers.

It's advisable to wear gloves while cuttings the stems which contain a poisonous white sticky sap which causes skin inflammation. So much so that even fish are sensitive to this poisonous sap thus it’s better to keep these plants them away from ponds.

My collection is fairly limited as I have stopped growing them partly deterred by their thorns. Mr. Waheed Malik has the most extensive & rare collection of Euphoria’s not found elsewhere.

Euphorbia Mili

Variegated Euphorbia.

zeeshanuddin
City: Islamabad/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Palms, ferns, annuals, succulants, house plants

Post by zeeshanuddin »

Nice collection of succulents. Your Agave victoriae-reginae is exceptionally beautiful............
Zeeshan
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

I see a small agave in the euphorbia pot, can you tell me its cultivar and also upload a full portrait pic :)

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”