Trees in my garden

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Trees in my garden

Post by mikhurram »

Dombeya Spectabilis is currently in bloom these days. This is a small tree which attains a height around 12-15 feet and bears clusters of light pinkish flowers similar to Hydrangea. Extremely beneficial for the wildlife flowers of this cultivar attract honey bees and wasps. A small sampling can be purchased around Rs 150-200 and grows rapidly grows to 6 feet tall within an year if planted in a site having full sun.

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Trees in my garden

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Thats why its also called Tropical Hydrangea.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Imran sb, Are the flowers fragrant? And how do you propagate it? This is a new plant (for me) and it certainly deserves to be the database. Thanks for your photo contributions.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

beautiful plant... will search for it in nurseries ..thanks imran sb.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

M Farooq
Are the flowers fragrant? And how do you propagate it? This is a new plant (for me) and it certainly deserves to be the database. Thanks for your photo contributions.
Dr Sahib, the fragrance in this variety is hardly noticeable even if sniffed closely. Native to Tropical Africa and Madagascar, It can be propagated by seeds, cuttings and mostly by air layering which is mostly used by the nurseries. There is also another variety having dark pink flowers but it has not proven to be as resilient as this cultivar.

Hammad don't pay more than Rs 200 for this plant in a small pot as nurseries have a habit of fleecing customers.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

What is the right time for cuttings?
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Sir i believe cuttings can be taken in spring or in summer (most probably monsoon). Once our mali took some cuttings in summer and they remained green for a month or two but died after 3 months. The success rate with cuttings is lower compared to air layering generally used by nurseries.
regards,
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

havent seen it in Karachi...
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

The silk floss tree (Ceiba speciosa, formerly Chorisia speciosa), is a deciduous tree native to South America. Grown merely as an ornamental tree it starts bearing flowers at the end of October which last till the end of January. Being drought tolerant this tree thrives in ordinary soil and does not require any maintenance. Birds often drop the flowers which look messy apart from the shed leaves. Green trunk of this tree is covered by thorns. I bought an year old sapling in 2005 which was planted in a site having full sun. Apart from the pink flower this tree also has a yellow coloured flower cultivar whose photos were recently posted by Brig Arif Sahib. Given a choice i wouldn't recommend planting it as there is little utility of this tree as it doesn't benefit the wildlife e.g bees or butterflies etc. Nevertheless some people find it beautiful.

mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

3. Uncarina Grandidieri

Belonging to genus of 13 species known as Caudiciform (fat plants), Uncarina originate from Madagascar and comes in various colours namely white, pink, orange and yellow. These deciduous succulent plants store their food and energy in their swollen trunks (caudex) or roots. They normally grow up to 8m tall and are very drought tolerant and can be grown successfully in Sindh, Baluchistan, Punjab, and milder cold areas of NWFP.

This particular variety shown below is known as Uncarina Grandidieri. Initially a long time back whenever I used to hear it being referred used to write ‘Anne Karina’ in my futile search queries being unaware of its actual spelling. The queries either used to direct me to the Tolstoy epic or the ID of an actress. Finally one day came to know about its actually spelling.

Flowers of this variety bear resemblance to flowers of Black Eyed Susan.

It preferably should be grown in full sun area having good drainage. During its growth season in the summers this plant relishes water and very little water should be given during its dormancy period.

Seeds pods are found in its spiked round fruit capsules resembling harpoon missiles. It is usually grown from seeds and some information from the net indicates that it can be propagated from softwood cuttings. My experience is that germination from seeds is poor but nevertheless the most feasible option. Propagating from cuttings is almost impossible as they do not root easily. This may be the reason for its exorbitant cost which ranges between Rs. 1000-2000 depending on the size of the plant. In addition this plant is very susceptible to termites.

Another interesting information about this variety is that it only be pollinated by beetles. More information about pollination can be read in the url below.
http://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/su ... ra-sub.asp

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”