Hedychium (Ginger Lily)

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Hedychium (Ginger Lily)

Post by M Farooq »

Khurram sb, there is no overlap, as Farhan as made an alphabetical list of all plants listed so far. So don't worry about double entries. Thats is my key idea is as well that this forum should serve as an educational platform as well for the public/ hobbyists like us. There is apparently no comprehensive online list of our local plants/ or plants that can be grown in Pakistan gardens. If you are willing, Farhan will add you to the list of people who can add entries. So all you have to do is to just post in the databse instead of your section M.I. Khurram gardens whenever you want...it will be more systematic and more organized! Your ginger lily is a perfect example of a potential entry.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

mikhurram wrote:The thing about Hedychium is that it has there for a long time but usually people are not aware of it. It's commonly found in public parks like the Race Course Park. It ought to be available in Karachi and usually people at the nursery are not aware of their name and maybe if you can show them a picture then they will be able to recognize it. I had 4 spare rhizomes in March this year and ended up distributing. Hopefully next year i may have some more to share.

The bright sunshine is morning sun?
I will recognize it myself if available 8-) ... its been a long time i visited a nursery :roll: ... there are 2-4 types of gingers available in Karachi, but none of them is fragrant... will check out the nurseries soon

Bright light but not direct sunshine from 9 am to 3 pm...
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Ideally morning sun till 11 or 12 am and then shade with a moist soil would be ideal for them. I am not sure whether they would do well in bright light without direct sunshine.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Blooms of Hedychium grown in a pot which emerged today. Perfumes are also made from white Hedychium by re-known companies likes Estee Lauder. Turns out that it is the national flower of Cuba.

Cut stalk in a vase.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Its so beautiful. From where can i get it Khurram.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

A few days ago, i had sent Kaleem sahib this Hedychium variety in a pot and i believe there were two rhizomes in it. You can request him for a rhizome and i am sure he can spare one rhizome.
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Wow! pure white blooms!:)
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Khurram sb first i,l search it may be i get it from a nursery. If not then i,l wait when ever he has spare Rhizome i,l request him.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Actually I had a word with him before replying and he said he would be happy to give you a rhizome since he has a spare rhizome. I figured that logistically that would be the most convenient solution as I believe you also have a residence in Islamabad. Or whenever you intend to visit Lahore you are welcome to get it from me. Usually these are difficult to find as most of the nurseries are not aware of them.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

I see. i,l contact Mr Kaleem on my trip to Islamabad. May be next week end i,l be there.

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”