Adeniums

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Adeniums

Post by mikhurram »

by Rohail Asad » May 31st, 2014, 10:42 am
I bought two plants of adenium(with flowers) 'Arabicums' from Fateh Muhammad Nursery Peshawar Morr Islamabad only for RS 150 each(he demanded Rs200 each) on 1st May. The plant type,size and health are the same as shown in the last pic by MiKhurram. My camera is on the tour of northern areas. I will upload the pic as soon as i get it.
The Adeniums one gets for Rs 150-200 are typical 1-2 year old grown from seeds and these are NOT Arabicums. You seem to be mixing "Arabicum' cultivar with the my last picture of typical Thai Adeniums grown from seeds as shown below.
These are typical 1-2 year old Thai Adeniums raised from seeds and are NOT Arabicums.

Adenium grafted on on a typical Thai Adeniums and is NOT an Arabicum. Notice cordex is thinner.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Below are pictures of 'Arabicums' having thicker cordex.
Arabicum Adenium

Arabicum Adenium

Arabicum Adenium

Arabicum Adenium
S.Ahmed
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Amateur gardener,Fragrant plants,Flowering Plants,Vegetables,Coconuts

Post by S.Ahmed »

I bought some of these Adenium plants that were started by seed from my local nursery must be commonly available variety guessing from the fact that I got them cheap @ Rs 25 per pot.

Now the plant with yellow leaves have shedded all its leaves(pic below) and its caudex has become loose as it seem to have lost water from its caudex. I have been watering it along with other pots,other pots are doing fine while this one lost all its leaves after they turned yellow first. What should I do to save this plant?

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Rohail Asad wrote:
Munir wrote:
mikhurram wrote: ........... These are currently available in Islamabad (a nursery located in Peshawar mor). Infact a few day ago i was able to add 4 more 'Arabicums' in my collection courtesy Kaleem Sahib.
regards,
Could you please recollect/check the name of the nursery?
Sir Munir, I bought two plants of adenium(with flowers) 'Arabicums' from Fateh Muhammad Nursery Peshawar Morr Islamabad only for RS 150 each(he demanded Rs200 each) on 1st May. The plant type,size and health are the same as shown in the last pic by MiKhurram. My camera is on the tour of northern areas. I will upload the pic as soon as i get it.
. We shall wait for Rohail's photos of the complete plant,to compare the stems,in order to remove the confusion.
. I wouldn't mind even the non-Arabicums for Rs.150; doesn't matter if they are not cold hardy.
Last edited by Munir on May 31st, 2014, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

by S.Ahmed » May 31st, 2014, 3:03 pm
I have been watering it along with other pots,other pots are doing fine while this one lost all its leaves after they turned yellow first. What should I do to save this plant?
The reason seems to be over watering which typically is the case with most of the newbies. Refer to my reply regarding frequency of watering in the url below.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3207&p=30603#p30603

Plus your medium is terrible. Ideal medium for Adenium is 1/3 fine sand used in construction, 1/3 Bhall in Punjab or Bhaloo Rait as known in Karachi & 1/3 compost like 'Plant Fert'.

Over watering and incorrect medium is a recipe for rot.
by Munir » May 31st, 2014, 4:00 pm
We shall wait for Rohail's photos of the complete plant,to compare the stems,in order to remove the confusion.
Munir Sahib there is no confusion. It's crystal clear from his statement that his Adeniums are like the picture of 1-2 year old typical Adeniums which are available in the market for Rs 150. I have added the captions of 1-2 year old typical Adeniums underneath this picture shown above.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Arabicums caudex is more appealing also.
Rohail Asad
City: Wah-Cantt
Gardening Interests: I have interest in flowering plants(both annuals and perennials)

Post by Rohail Asad »

I think that i was wrong. I have already mentioned that my plants are same as shown in the pic of seed grown adeniums by MiKhurram and if he says that it is Thai Adenium, than it is Thai Adeniums because he is master gardener, specially in adeniums.
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

My adenium Yemeni. Transplanting from terracotta to 20" cement planter. Plant going dormant in dec cold.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417608855.627991.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417608835.816499.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417608816.177169.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Sharing winter care methods for adeniums:
As already mentioned in this long thread adeniums are prone to root and stem rot during winters. Why? The plants are succulent, storing large quantities of water in their caudex that can bear them thru drought in their natural habitat. In winters when temp drop below 10 degrees Celsius, adeniums drastically lower their metabolic processes going in to a sort of hibernation or dormancy. This is the time for maximal care ESP in areas like lahore (my city) and isl. Khi might still be a happier place for these precious plants.
2 weeks of less than 10 degrees will kill an adenium Yemeni/soma less variety-the one with the highest growth rate, tallest and most prone to cold damage.
Cold coupled with moist soil will ensure that u commit an adenium homicide. So read about the care instructions of your species of adeniums.
As a general rule nov-mid Deb, keep the soil as dry as u can-that means preventing rain from wetting the soul. If there is a chance of rain, put your adeniums out of their soil medium and wrap them up in polythene or newspapers and store then up. As a relief I should tell u that when these adeniums get shipped from Thailand etc, travelling over 1-3 months thru sea, they are bare-root and wrapped in newspaper; that's how farms like siamadenium do it. So they have enough water in their stems to get them through 2-3 months.
The signs of an adenium going in to dormancy are varied-one such would be leaf fall; though it's not a very specific feature. Some varieties of adeniums-obesium, socorantum, arabicum can still retain their leaves and some flower buds but won't show new leaf growth and the buds won't bloom.
If u have low rainfall and plan on keeping ure plants in growth medium, ensure that ure soil medium is well draining- the combo of 1/3 builders sand/rait, 1/3 alluvial soil or river bhal and 1/3 plant fert is good enough. U can even skip plant fert. Adeniums are not heavy feeders like roses even though they might be called desert rose. On the contrary they like a low-nutrient medium.
I will share here, my care for the most cold-prone 7 year old adenium soma leave/Yemeni. It's planted in a big 20" cement artistic pot. The soil medium is as mentioned above. I have not watered it for 1 month now. It had been transplanted 2 months back from a smaller pot. I have a polythene sheet around it to ensure that in case of rain no water gets in and also as a make-shift green house to ensure that in stays relatively warm at night compared with the ambient temp.
Since this dude is prone to stem rot, it had suffered some wounds during mobilisation and these wounds are the places where the rot can strike first. These are also the places where crawling insects come and find a place to live/feed on in case of rot. So I sprinkled some permethrin-powder at these locations to keep the bugs away.
Here are some pics to tell the story...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417683360.702863.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417683339.905759.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417683320.458196.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

These are the latest pictures:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417683506.412875.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417683494.857947.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417683484.565861.jpg