Adeniums

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Adeniums

Post by mikhurram »

Medium which can be used for transplanting adenium in bigger pots can be prepared by mixing half quantities of old manure at least 1 year old and cut chunks of Coconut chunks along with a handful of slow release fertilizer. Those wishing to splurge amount on adenium are advised that the casualty rate is high during the winters in Lahore. Half of my original collection perished during the winter. It's ideally more suited for Karachi. Instead of buying adeniums, i would advise that its better to buy a desi cordex which can purchased for Rs 200-300 and graft in the cordex cut branches of adeniums which are inevitably thrown away by friends when they prune their Adeniums.
Attachments
a.jpg
adenium.jpg
adeni.jpg
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Adeniums

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

very very beautiful Adeniums
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

simply beautiful

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Adeniums currently in bloom.
Attachments
Black Pearl
Black Pearl
Black Pearl
Black Pearl
white.jpg
Asim_Nawaz
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and Flowering Plants, Grafted Cactus & Succulent Plant, Grow seeds on Rockwool.

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Lovely....
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Nice collection !
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

really beautiful Khurram and nice collection, how easy or difficult to grow Adeniums in our climate and what is the attitude of this plant means how they react to cold and hot weather and what is the care and life cycle please?

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Adeniums are ideally more suited for Karachi. 30% of them tend to perish during the cold months in plains of punjab. The % of casualties can be minimized if special care is taken during the winter months such storing them in a greenhouse etc. It also depends on the experience of the gardener. Experienced gardeners are able to to save atleast 80% of the collection during the winter months.

A lot depends on the medium used for adeniums which i have mentioned in my first reply.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Khurram Sb, you mentioned about grafting of Adeniums cutting on a desi Cordex plant. What is the local/common name of Cordex plant,since it is also not available on net ?
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Munir Sahib,

The usual practice of adenium suppliers from abroad is that they tend to graft known varieties of known adenium into a common cordex known as desi cordex which produces pink flowers. Karachi is the main hub where these desi cordex are available in prices ranging from Rs 200 to Rs 250. After grafting them into a desi cordex they sell adeniums at Rs 1000 mininum. Even the cost of grafted adeniums imported from thailand is not more than Rs 300 with the cost of carriage included.

For an adenium to develop into a bushy shape (more flowers) pruning is required. If not pruned the stems become lanky. I would suggest that rather buying costly adeniums , buy the desi cordex (not more than Rs 300) and graft in them pieces of adenium from friends when they undertake adenium or you may sow seeds of adenium which take atleast 3 years to develop into a healthy cordex.

Two year ago, i imported adenium seeds from Sunshine Seeds based in Germany. The germination rate was 80%. It would take them two more years to flower. Usually seeds from adeniums flower tend to flower in the common pink colour and i suspect that most of my adeniums grown from seeds are likely to produce the common pink flowers. In case even if the colour is pink then i can use these adeniums as cordex base on which grafting can be undertaken.

The same can be done for plumeria. Plumeria can be raised easily from seed and like adeniums require atleast 4 years to flower when raised from seed. Two year old plumeria sown from seeds can be grafted into our common plumeria. During the last few years, prices of imported plumeria's have gone up tremendously. Imported cutting which used to be available at Rs 800 have gone up to Rs 2000. Rather than buying these outrageous prices for adeniums, i have now opted to grown plumeria from seeds and intend to graft my two plumeria around september. Plumeria from seeds are more likely to develop into unique colours.

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”