Clematis

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Re: Clematis

Post by Munir »

. Glad to learn that,K2. Wish you continuous supplies.
. How are they sent;through cargo or some other mode? Any custom formality? Overall is it convenient or otherwise? I ask these because I have people abroad who ll be too happy to oblige.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

by Kaleem » April 15th, 2014, 5:43 pm
Munir sb
Actually I have a friend in USA, she is an affectionate lady and my 2nd mom. She has two kids their names are as under

Katherine ( daughter)
Kevin (son) K1
Both names started with word "K" and mine also start with "K" so she call us K1 and K2
Kaleem K2
Is it a coincidence that K2 being the 2nd highest peak in the world is also located in Pakistan?

Florida Sieboldii

Gypsy Queen
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Gypsy Queen.

Most probably it's Multi-Blue
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Zabardast this collection is really heart breaking! I really love this climber but dose,t knew its a good grower in our summers.Khurram sb from where can i get its plants.Can i plant it out in open ground.I don,t like climbers or vines but Clematis is excetionally beautiful.I have seen its beauty at Abbotabad.Fantastic collection.Its not because of the flowers i am praising but because you have grown it & keep it up at Lahore.Thats the real real job i really liked.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Khan Sahib,
Sweet Autumn Clematis can be sourced from Lahore. Other varieties like these shown above are available at Lahore Nursery but are being sold at exorbitant rates of Rs 3000 per climber at a profit rate of 5 times the cost price of Rs 500 per climber !!! I woudn't advise buying from them as their asking price is simply outrageous.

Hopefully in a couple of years i'll be able to propagate sufficient plants which which will be given to interested members free of cost.

Growing Clematis in Lahore is not difficult provided one is able to identify the right type of Clematis for the area, 2nd provide the right medium/location and lastly prune according to the type of clematis group.

For areas having hot summers like Lahore one should opt for the Viticella, Florida group or evergreen varieties as these are more resistant to heat. Among these 3 groups, Vitcella should be the first choice as is that they do not suffer from clematis wilt disease and flower more abundantly.

Even evergreen varieties to do well particularly the tested variety 'Sweet Autumn' which tends to flowers profusely in autumn.

For my clematises i tend to use ‘John Innes Compost’ for my clematis or one can even incorporate atleast ½ of leaf mold to garden soil if they are to grown in growing in a raised bed area. They grow even better in ground provided the location should be ideal. For instance in Lahore my preferred location would be an area where they get sunshine from morning till noon and then shade to protect from hot afternoon sun which rays can burn a plant especially during May, June, July and August.

Lastly prune according to the following group requirement.

Group 1 clematis tend to flower on old growth stems. They should not be pruned except removing only the weak or dead stems after flowering.

Group 2 clematis flower having large flower sizes flower on both old stem as well as new year’s growth. Thus they should be given light pruning after flowering taking care to remove only weak or dead stems. Its light pruning is akin to light dressing of shrub roses and the only difference being the pruning time. Clematis varieties which fall within this group are C. President (the blue clematis shown by Kaleem Sahib).

Grup 3 clematis flower late on new year’s growth and thus should be pruned more severely. Pruning method is similar to that of HT roses and differ only in terms of pruning time. Clematis cultivars which fall in this group are Jackmanii series (Hagley Hybrid the pink variety shown by Kaleem sahib & Gypsy Queen shown above), Viticella series, Florida type (Florida Sieboldii also shown earlier in this thread), Texensis and Tangutica types.

Feeding is an an important aspect. Its advisable to feed them a foliar spray of tomato fertilizer (NPK ratio 5:5:10) or Arthur Bowers Rose feed also having similar ratio after pruning to ensure better foliage and growth in coming season as Clematis like roses are greedy plants.

Below are image of clematis grown by Malik Waheed a veteran & experienced gardener. Two of his varieties are currently in bloom. One of his cultivars having pink flower currently has at-least 28 buds on the stems shown below which i myself have counted. Last year one of the group member had quoted Waheed Sahib in saying that Clematis do not profusely flower in Lahore. The myth of non-profuse flowering seem to have been broken to which Waheed Sahib even affirms. Members residing in Lahore can visit his house to see these buds.

Name of this variety seems to either Ville De Lyon or Ernest Markham.

This variety might be Lawsonia.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Inshallah i,l be wating.Whenever ready to deliver i,l collect it from Lahore even.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

beautiful vines with charming buds.buds are even more beautiful.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Beautiful flowers indeed.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Below are some snaps of Clematis currently in bloom in Malik Waheed Sahib's garden since 20th April.

UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

BEAUTIFUUUUUUUULLLLLLL!

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”