Amarylis & Freesia purchase

Gardening Information sources and Gardening Product outlets.

Moderator: Izhar

newton
City: jhelum

Amarylis & Freesia purchase

Post by newton »

Any readers or experts know of vendors where I can purchase some good amaryllis and freesia bulbs. Im thinking it may be preferable to purchase when in Pakistan these next two or three weeks. Lahore and Islamabad is currently fine to travel too.

I am seeking to naturalise around 24 amaryllis and 3 or 4 dozen freesia into beds. For the freesia I prefer single blocks of colour and scent.

Thanks in advance
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Re: Amarylis & Freesia purchase

Post by ka_khan »

I bought Freesia bulbs from Cheena Din sons,Lahore.They could deliver you at your home.Planted some in late September and now they are just started to bloom.
hassan167
City: gujrat

Post by hassan167 »

http://www.dutchbulbs.co.uk/plant-00024 ... e-mixture/ for freesia flower .i wana buy too but thy dont deliver in pakistan.:(
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

freesia and Amaryllis season is already over, its not a good idea to purchase at this time of the year. you may purchase some summer flowering bulbs at this time because you cant keep the bulbs for the next season they will die, for the suppliers if you check our group purchase thread you will find good sources to buy bulbs.

hope this may help

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

Thank you Hamad.

I am starting out with virgin beddings and plants that im normally used to as indoor and greenhouse plants in the UK.

I did check our gardening diary but sadly it isn't completed yet. I was planning to leave them in situ as permanent beddings and hoped they would survive through the hot dry season as well as the monsoon. On reflection your right I don't think they will, as they wont develop an adequate root structure.

For people like me who are novice and new to the home gardening calendar in Pakistan it is an invaluable resource and if anybody can add to it I would be very grateful

Regards
Ifzal
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Ifzaal Sahib,
Amaryllis is a very hardy plant and would survive easily and if you are planning to grow them outdoors and the local variety in small pots can be bought for for Rs 50 each or imported branded cultivars are more expensive e.g like Elvis, Dancing Queen, Ballerina around Rs 800. Nurseries owners have a habit of fleecing new customers so i suggest you can experiment with local Amaryllis which you can have from my collection.

Regarding Freesia's they need to be lifted from the pots or soil beds when they are finished with their flowering around 1st week of May and preferably be placed in onion sacks and stored at room temperature till end of September and then should be lifted and placed in pots or soil beds in the 1st or 2nd week of October. Single Freesia are more hard to find now as seed shops tend to favour importing the double varieties even though the single freesia are more superior in terms of fragrance and ability to produce seeds.

Apart from Freesia they are countless fragrant perennial plants suitable for our climate.

Return to “Gardening Resources”