Different garden hoses available in Karachi

Gardening Information sources and Gardening Product outlets.

Moderator: Izhar

forcetrip
City: Karachi

Different garden hoses available in Karachi

Post by forcetrip »

I have been having this recurring problem with garden hoses bursting due to the auto water pressure system used in the house. If anyone has any suggestions or tips instead of asking me to turn off the motor would be highly appreciated.
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Different garden hoses available in Karachi

Post by M Farooq »

forcetrip wrote:I have been having this recurring problem with garden hoses bursting due to the auto water pressure system used in the house. If anyone has any suggestions or tips instead of asking me to turn off the motor would be highly appreciated.
Could you clarify what is meant by auto-water pressure system? Every polymer has a certain mechanical stress threshold...if you exceed even the thresholds even steels pipes can burst. Our garden hoses often burst because they don't tolerate heating and cooling cycles during the day & night and the strong sunlight (makes them weak). Store the hoses in shade, removing any kinks, and your hoses should last longer :-).
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

forcetrip wrote:I have been having this recurring problem with garden hoses bursting due to the auto water pressure system used in the house. If anyone has any suggestions or tips instead of asking me to turn off the motor would be highly appreciated.
TRy bigger size of pipe, Double size will reduce pressure by one fourth, moreover bigger diameter pipes have thicker walls, get an opaque pipe if you can find one.
forcetrip

Post by forcetrip »

Auto pressure means that there is constant pressure in the pipes through a motor. Which turns on when pressure drops during use to get the pressure back. This dosnt work too well with the garden hose as it expands the hose to extreme amounts due to it being soft. I have a bigger gauge pipe in use now but none of my attachments work with it. So its basically the finger banging kind which will never have the pressure problem because it is open in the end. The problem occurs when there is an attachment on the end of the pipe like the sprinkler. So I was wondering if a steel belted hose or some other kind of hose is being used by people because I am pretty sure that a lot of people here have the auto pressure pumps installed in their houses.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

I also have the pressure pump but the hoses are not on it still with the heat and cool cycles hoses get weak and then to spoil anyways. Look for the fiber hoses if you can find then, they are probably plastic with a mesh, the kinds available overseas. Don't know where you'd find it but a gardening shop like Pride Seeds or More Green in Lahore would be the best place to start looking.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I am a little confused; Your hose is attached to a tap which has a regulator, regulating the flow also regulates the pressure. Open the tap only to your desired flow/pressure. There must be a valve of some kind in the pipe line, so what is the problem?
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

I am of same opinion, why dont you install a valve between hose and the pipeline?
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

forcetrip wrote:Auto pressure means that there is constant pressure in the pipes through a motor. Which turns on when pressure drops during use to get the pressure back. This dosnt work too well with the garden hose as it expands the hose to extreme amounts due to it being soft. I have a bigger gauge pipe in use now but none of my attachments work with it. So its basically the finger banging kind which will never have the pressure problem because it is open in the end. The problem occurs when there is an attachment on the end of the pipe like the sprinkler. So I was wondering if a steel belted hose or some other kind of hose is being used by people because I am pretty sure that a lot of people here have the auto pressure pumps installed in their houses.
Aykhan is right, you can buy high quality pipes like the following; this type survives really well (~ 8 years and no leakage so far)

http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/tools/ ... KgodOj0Akg

On the other hand a valve serving as a flow regulator (probably an ordinary tap) will resolve the problem.
forcetrip

Post by forcetrip »

There is a valve, which has to be opened so that the water can get to the hose. The hose expands as the pressure pump activates when it loses pressure in the pipes. I am in Karachi so will have to see where I can find the fiber mesh pipes. I have seen them in the US. I got ripped off once at lighthouse by getting some fake korean pipes before. Thank you all for your input. I will post once I have an answer to this particular problem.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

I have seen hose pipes with metallic mesh between the two layers of rubber at waterpump.. i currently use similar hose with plastic mesh between two layers of rubber, bought it in 2010.. no leakage so far despite always outdoors in sun..

Return to “Gardening Resources”