A passionate Gardener from Lahore

Moderator: Izhar

AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Bonsai

Post by AhmadIrfan »

Helloo everyone, i've been trying to create a bonsai kinda plant for the past two years a nurseryman suggested to pull the plant out of the pot every year and trim of some of the roots and then re plant it on inquiry as to why he suggested this procedure he answered this is how its done and you see the disformation of the trunk. i am not sure if should be trying this any suggestions??
Attachments
photo (5).JPG
photo (4).JPG
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Bonsai

Post by Izhar »

Yes he is right.. during active growth season the roots should be trimmed and the plant replanted..the deformation of trunk is done by tying soft wires and bend it slightly as desired.. and bonsai is grown in a shallow, wide container / dish..
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

should i do it now since the ficus has started to grow and i am going to tranfer it to a smaller pot this year and maybe to a shallow tray next year plus the from the point where the 4 trunks have merged the plant have come very prone to breaking off can this be corrected??
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

wires can be used to support the weak area... and yes this is a good time to trim the roots..
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

Thanks Izhar one more questions should the plant be bare root for hard trimming of the roots or should I just remove the soul from the outer surface and cut the outer roots??
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

just the fresh outer roots only...
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

Thanks Izhar I hope the plant survives the procedure 2 years worth of effort on the line air layered the four plants myself
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

Izhar i have removed the plant from a bigger to a smaller pot, one thing i noticed while cutting the roots was it had more web like roots than hardy ones, cutting the webed roots is going to have the same impact on the plant to create a bonsai??
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

for bonsai ..the pot should be shallow and wide..cut about 90% of the fine roots and 10% of the hard roots...
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

Izhar dont wanna stress the plant too much i've moved it to a smaller pot this year next year insahllah will move it to a shallow pot, there were only 4-5 braches of hardy roots which i trimmed off the rest of the soil mix was covered with the web of fine roots which i also trimmed, have kept the plant behind my sago palm, its been more than 24 hours and the leaves havent whitered so i belive this is a good sign.

Return to “Ahmed Irfan's Garden”