my plants are not happy why ???

Having Any problem in your Garden? Struggling Plant, Pests or fertilizers? Seek Help from Fellow Members

Moderator: Izhar

khalidaminryk
City: rahimyar khan

my plants are not happy why ???

Post by khalidaminryk » August 29th, 2012, 3:45 pm

will someone help me regarding plants in te pic .. these plants are not growing anymore and leaves falling day by day .. i have tried my best by adding water and lessing water ,, by adding GOBAR khad and leaves khad also
Attachments
IMAG0049.jpg

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: my plants are not happy why ???

Post by Farhan Ahmed » August 29th, 2012, 6:54 pm

These are perennials and have a slower growth rate. They show positive growth in spring and fall more prominently. Moreover hot weather is also one cause of stunt growth.
Lets see what experts have to say

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN » August 30th, 2012, 12:39 am

i am not an expert in containers thats why i even grow the Lady finger palm in ground.but what i m seeing i think u do not increase the size of the containers every year not even after two years.please go the general dis sec & go through the gardening article by our senior member Muhammad Arif Khan.please go through the topic Container gardening.hope u,l find complete answer to ur question in it.

Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan » August 30th, 2012, 4:35 am

It is common for plants to behave like this in summer season, palms are tropical plants where temperature remains constant throughout the year , they behave differently in our weather. Wait for few more weeks , temperature come down the plants will get normal.

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar » August 30th, 2012, 9:36 am

Please note that plants growing in containers require continuous supply of nutrients for growth, blooming and fruiting.. there is much information on this forum regarding fertilizers and their administration on potted plants.. i am sure that you will find answer to almost every question you have in mind regarding your plants but you must read the posts on the forum..

What you can do now is to get a general purpose water soluble fertilizers from the gardening shop and give your plants half teaspoon dissolved in 2 liters of water on weekly basis, they will inshaAllah start growing again..

khalidaminryk

Post by khalidaminryk » August 30th, 2012, 10:52 am

thanks all of you.. changing the pot is very difficult .. caz i m gardening at roof top and i cnt increase weight on roof top .. the other reason is the pots are not straight they are in curved shap so its impossible to take out plant with soil, it can only be done if i break da pot ..

dear all its a great site but problem is that majority of members belong to big cities like islamabad lahore karachie etc .. and u are well aware of gardening tips u personally share tips with each other your weather also encourage u for gardening.. your gardening stores seed stores and nurseries shopkeepers are well known of gardening tips and techniques .. u can get informations from thousands of means .. but here in rahim yar khan we do not have such means to be get informed .. so i request you all to please share tips and techniques in simple local languages and names so that if we ask for some sort of fertilizes and plants and any thing else they also understand what we need ...

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN » August 30th, 2012, 6:36 pm

you have a Lady finger palm.it produces runners,so not suitable for small pot.shift it to open ground or give it to some other palm loving person,who has more space for its runners.

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar » August 31st, 2012, 9:24 am

khalidaminryk, feel free to ask anything which you dont understand, we all will try to explain and simplify things for you...

Happy gardening :)

khalidaminryk

Post by khalidaminryk » August 31st, 2012, 11:49 am

i have a double story house.. n third floor also.. family who live on ground floor having lush green container plants .. and i m one first floor .. and i have problem with growth n blooming even though very hard plants also discouraged me .. i want to explain some facts ..
1 .. first floor
2 .. marble or cemented roof
3 .. no morning sun, sun light is available after 10 am
4 .. i have green house cloth on 10 feet hight which i stretch at 10:30 and the cloth stops 90% light n air..
5 .. due to this green house i feel that my plants remain in heat of green house and there is no much ventilation of air
6 .. i live in rahim yar khan where temp in 46 to 50+

so these are the major facts which may effect my container plants .. pots are placed on marble n cements floors ..
i have more than 200 container plants .. i have lost more than 50 plants in this summer.. now i don't want to loose more ..

my efforts to save my plants are ..

1.. i changed the soil and u can imagine to change potting soil of 250+ containers on 1st floor and 2nd floor
2.. i used fertilizer ( urea, DAP, soluble , sersabz organic , dumped underground leave khad , gobar khad ....
3.. i tried my best for well drained system in containers
4.. watering methods .. increasing decreasing watering ..
5.. i shifted plants to top floor where i have some sort of shade , and well airy n morning light is also available .. now top roof plants i feel are much better..

i m sharing with u all so that keep me in touch so that i may remain with this community for so long ..

i m starting kitchen gardening also ..

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan » August 31st, 2012, 12:22 pm

All permanent plants in containers have to be root pruned and re-potted in time. So first rule; all perennials must be planted in a tapering pot to facilitate re-potting.
Rule II; it is better to kill a pot than the plant.
To save the pot, run a saw blade around the wall of the pot, drench it with water and pull it out.

Return to “Questions and Problems”