Container soil

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Aoa, What in your experience is the best potting soil mix for ;
Annuals, Bulbs, Adenium, Euphorbias, Gerbera and Roses when grown in Lahore
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Re: Container soil

Post by khabbab »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:Aoa, What in your experience is the best potting soil mix for ;
My experience with bulbs is that the soil should be perfectly drained, no water-logging at all. With some bulbs i place a thin layer of sand on bottom of bulbs roots for good drainage. Less fertilizer with bulbs. Most bulbs prefer leaf mold in the soil. Some bulbs like hyacinth and amaryllis i grow directly in peat moss nothing else except nigh potash/phosphorus foliar liquid fert when buds appear. Most bulbs roots like to grow in fluffy medium and not in clayish soil.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by tweedle2009 »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:Aoa, What in your experience is the best potting soil mix for ;

Adenium

First of all it should be understood that adenium is not a cactus.It is a free flowering plant with lots of water in its caudex so it needs to be treated like a flowering plant.It is happier if provided ample water, NPK and Cow manure.The media used in thailand cannot be used here as our climate differs.So I have found a formula that serves me great results.

Sand 2 parts
Rotten Leaf Compost 1 part
Cow Manure 1 part
Coco Peat 1-2 part
Rice Husk (optional)

This media helps drainage.I'd fertilize them weekly with NPK and spray with 6-Benzylaminopurine every month.

Gerbera:

I ve nt seen anything better than "Nehri Bhal" for gerberas.Don't use cow manure, also avoid organic compost as they are subject to rot.
shahwon

Post by shahwon »

Pot Soil check pH required for the plant you want to grow
normally it should be 5.5 to 6.5 pH
Secondly sterilize the soil, to sterilize the soil, peel an Onion, cut in small slices
place just one slice 3inches deep in the soil. You will nothing to worry about

B. Shah
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Aoa Brigd sb Roses are not good performers in pots.in pots they become root bound so the can not do well.but any how if you want them in pots you can grow miniatures or short floribundas.mix 1 part bhal,1 part well matured cow manure(leaf fertilizer is very good if avable),2 parts clay soil.due to restricted amount of soilthe nutrints leach out quikly so feed roses with foliar NPK on fortnightly bases.also use micro nutients foliar along NPK.sprinkle some well matured cow manure after every 4 monyhs it keeps the soil alive & loose.as the summer has arrived place the pots in a location where it can recive some shade in the hot after noons.the international rose society has introduced new class of roses,the patio roses.but patio roses are actually the miniatures with dense foliage.ideal PH for roses is 5-6.5.drainage is very essential for roses.roses like water but can not tolerate wet feet for a long time.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Has any one experimented with warious soil mix for containers?.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Sir, here is my success with Coir, this plant was originally grown in a normal soil and manure mix in 6" clay pot, I transplanted it in pure coir:

Return to “Container Gardening Articles”