Assalam-O-Alaikum 2 every1

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

NaziaShakeel
City: Lahore

Re: Assalam-O-Alaikum 2 every1

Post by NaziaShakeel »

Wa alikum Slam Rafaiy, welcome to this forum, where do you live in Rawalpindi?
Rafaiy
City: Rawalpindi

Post by Rafaiy »

I Live In Gulraiz....well Hamad my alexander palms are not that big....planted them this spring....hope they survive the coming winter :) ....Why dont you post your alexander palm pics....
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

InshAllah soon I will post some pics to share all of my plants
PrOud tO BE Oo92
zeeshanuddin
City: Islamabad/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Palms, ferns, annuals, succulants, house plants

Post by zeeshanuddin »

Hello Rafaiy, welcome to the forum. I am a big "palm fan" and your alexandria palm is simply awesome........I am relatively new in ISL/RWP and still trying to adjust in the extreme weather conditions here unlike Karachi. I have killed more plants in the last six months than I used to do in 6 years in Karachi........(a bit of exaggeration inclusive :P ) Tell me one thing: is the soil here is so hard everywhere around or its just my luck? Its very difficult to dig and plant. It has a high clay content. Although less watering is needed but I dont know why my plants dont look happy.
Zeeshan
Rafaiy

Post by Rafaiy »

Nice to know that you are a ¨palm fan¨ too :) ....which palms do you currently have with you....weather here is much extreme as compared to karachi, intense heat in summer and chilling winters, thats why palms are relatively tough to keep here as compared to karachi which has a moderate and humid climate....well about the soil thing it would be better if you could post some pics of your lawn so that we can have a better look....

Regardz
Rafaiy
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

one of my Alexander palm.this is last year picture.Alexander & Queen are really very good in our climate.they are the main competitor of the magestic Royal palm which commonly called bottle palm by our local nursery men.Royal palm is very beautiful but ideal for tropical & sub tropical climates.they are very fit for Karachi,s climate.i also love palms but the feather leaf palms.Fox tail palm is also very beautiful but it is also not for our climate.by our climate i mean climate of Peshawar & Pothohar region.some Palms even grow better in Lahore but in Islamabad either they do not survive or do not give the desired results.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

zeeshanuddin wrote:Hello Rafaiy, welcome to the forum. I am a big "palm fan" and your alexandria palm is simply awesome........I am relatively new in ISL/RWP and still trying to adjust in the extreme weather conditions here unlike Karachi. I have killed more plants in the last six months than I used to do in 6 years in Karachi........(a bit of exaggeration inclusive :P ) Tell me one thing: is the soil here is so hard everywhere around or its just my luck? Its very difficult to dig and plant. It has a high clay content. Although less watering is needed but I dont know why my plants dont look happy.
welcome to RWL/ISL yes there is a big difference in the climate
and the soil of sindh and punjab because obviously sindh is costal
line and sandy area and on the other hand punjab is more like
clayey area it’s always difficult to dig here you need to add
compost, mulch and sand to make it more plant friendly and as
for as your plant are concerned most of karachi plants don’t
do well in this region they need proper care and for that if you
mention your collection I hope I can guide you a little according
to my knowledge

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Rafaiy

Post by Rafaiy »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Image
one of my Alexander palm.this is last year picture.Alexander & Queen are really very good in our climate.they are the main competitor of the magestic Royal palm which commonly called bottle palm by our local nursery men.Royal palm is very beautiful but ideal for tropical & sub tropical climates.they are very fit for Karachi,s climate.i also love palms but the feather leaf palms.Fox tail palm is also very beautiful but it is also not for our climate.by our climate i mean climate of Peshawar & Pothohar region.some Palms even grow better in Lahore but in Islamabad either they do not survive or do not give the desired results.

Beautiful alexander palm you have there :) ....well i have seen some full grown fox tail palms here in nurseries as well as at a few people´s homes....infact there are 6 to 8 fox tail palms planted in Jinnah Park along with Bismarcks and they are doing fine in hot as hell summers and chilling winters :) ....
Rafaiy

Post by Rafaiy »

well can you tell what´s the age of your stunning alexander palm?
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

I planted this one in 2004.In nurseries they bring large palms to sale but its a success if the palm survive the winter.i have planted Foxtail two times at Islamabad,i was failed to grow them.i,l plant once again as you have given me some hope.but this time i,l plant it at Mardan.

Return to “Introduction”