My Cacti in bloom

Moderator: Izhar

mughal113
City: Lahore

My Cacti in bloom

Post by mughal113 »

Hi,

Here are some photos I took today... Spring is really springing at my rooftop.

-Haroon Mughal
mughal113

Re: My Cacti in bloom

Post by mughal113 »

Some more....

-Haroon Mughal
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Simply Superb cactus collection.Well come to the forum.Haroon your cactus are very exotic.please tell me how can i grow successful cactus like these.i want some on my patio.they are also very beautiful even if not in flowering.your star cactus is fantastic.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Finally we have a cactus lover. I've had these on my mind for a while but haven't bought any since I dont want to kill them and also feel I need more information before purchasing them. I would also like to know how you care for your cactus and are they all treated the same or do different kinds have different requirements?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

How long a cactus flower lasts
Do the plants keep on flowering or it is one time show?
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

Thanks all.

Cacti are not difficult to cultivate. In fact, these plants are much easier to keep going than others, once you get the basics right. Here are some things I have learnt over the years. Hope these are helpful.

1. The substrate must me free draining, with minimum amount of organic matter. Sandy loam is preferred. Plain construction sand does not work well in our climate.
2. Contrary to the common belief, cacti do need water. Especially in hot and dry climate of Pakistan in summers, my plant do not mind being watered every other day. Just make sure the substrate is dry enough before you water it. Some cacti like Melos, Epis actually dont like their roots getting dry ever. Soil must be kept moist for these plants.
3. Again, most of the cacti do like shade. Full sun does take the max out of these plants like heavy spinage, abundant flowers. However, May, June, July can have just a bit too harsh sun for your plants to thrive.
4. Cacti do like being fertilized. Just do it less often and with less concentration (of fertilizer) as compared to tropical plants.
5. Keep an eye on the pests. Mealy bug, scale, fungus and red spider mite can destroy a specimen plant in a matter of days.
6. If a plant does lose its roots, keep it dry until you are sure it has grown its roots back. Watering a cactus with no/rotting roots is a disaster.
7. Start small. Dont purchase big expensive plants when you are starting a collection. A big loss at this stage would probably turn you off. Dont let a few losses disheart you. You will lose some plants initially but once you get it right, the reward to effort ratio is enormous.

P.S: I have all my plants in pots. I have no experience of growing these in ground but i believe its gonna be easier once you have right substrate. A raised bed would make sure there is no water logging around the roots.
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

@ Muhammad Arif Khan
Most of the flowers (like astros) last for a single day. Some only one night (like echinopsis, night blooming cereus). Others (e.g. Gymnos) last many days.
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

Took these pictures today... Enjoy

aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Excellent excellent excellent.........
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Thank you so much for sharing the pics and tips...

Return to “Cacti and Succulents”