Viola x wittrockiana (Pansy)

Database of Endemic & Garden Plants of Pakistan

Moderators: Izhar, Tahir Khan, mirafzalkhan, Hamad Ahmed Kisana, rafique, KBW, jdashraf, Hamad, M Farooq

Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Viola x wittrockiana (Pansy)

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

Botanical Name Viola x wittrockiana
Family Violaceae
Genus Viola
Specie x wittrockiana
Local Name in Urdu گل بنفشہ
Common Name pansy
Life Cycle Annuals
Cultivar Name
Fragrant or Not few cultivers are fragrant
Category(Bush/Vine/Tree) annual flowering plant
Height under 6 in.
Spacing 6-9 in.
Flowering Months Jan-Apr
Flower Color Scarlet (Dark Red)
Orange
Pale Yellow
Light Blue
Purple
White/Near White and tricolours
Growing Areas all Pakistan
Frost Tender yes
Exposure sun to full shade
Soil pH tolerent
Propagation by seeds
Uses ornamental plant
Other Details The pansy is a group of large-flowered hybrid plants cultivated as garden flowers. Pansies are derived from viola species Viola tricolor hybridized with other viola species, these hybrids are referred to as Viola × wittrockiana.The common words "pansy" and "violet" are often used interchangeably. When a distinction is made, plants considered to be pansies have four petals pointing upwards, and only one pointing down. Violets have three petals pointing up and two pointing down.[2] Thus Viola cornuta is commonly referred to as a pansy. However, modern horticulturalists tend to use the term "pansy" for those multi-coloured large-flowered hybrids that are grown for bedding purposes every year, while "viola" is usually reserved for smaller, more delicate annuals and perennials. Pansies are hardy annuals whose flowers have "faces." These plants offer colorful flowers for any season in your garden. They have one of the widest ranges of colors and are good for containers, borders, and ground covers. Remember to water your pansies regularly. One of the most common reasons pansies fail is because they are not watered enough, so if your pansies are not doing well, try watering them more.
You can use a general, all-purpose fertilizer around your pansies to help them grow.
Remove faded/dead flowers to prolong blooming and encourage more flowers to grow.
young seedlings of pansy.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Re: Viola x wittrockiana (Pansy)

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

this post dedicated to senior member "Umar Khan sb" :)
Please khan sb give your brief comments and experience about "happy faces" :D
Ifrah
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: I've just started loving gardening as a hobby. I'm new to it. But definitely wanna learn more.

Post by Ifrah »

Asslamu alaikum!!
Can anyone tell me is this the end season of Pansy in Lahore?! If so, what is the best replacement for it during the hot summer in Lahore? Instead of Portulaca grandiflora.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Oh so many Happy Faces i love this annual.Hamad A.K this is an early bloomer so this year i l plant it early.Petunias will be planted in Mid Jan.so both the annuals really enhance the spring season.I really love Pansies.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Ifrah wrote:Asslamu alaikum!!
Can anyone tell me is this the end season of Pansy in Lahore?! If so, what is the best replacement for it during the hot summer in Lahore? Instead of Portulaca grandiflora.
Yes, the season for Pansies has passed, the best replacement for summer blooming would be Vinca. Try Vinca victory or other hybrids available in the market. The bloom potential of these beauties surpass all other summer annuals.
Ifrah
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: I've just started loving gardening as a hobby. I'm new to it. But definitely wanna learn more.

Post by Ifrah »

Jazak Allahu khayr Tahir sahab!! But the thing is I'm in need of such flowers which have a very short root and shoot like pansy. I don't want much height. Vinca grows a bit taller. The place where I want to replace the pansy won't look good with such height. I thought about Portulaca but the flowers close so early. :(
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Ifrah, ask nurseries about the paneeri of Vinca "Mediterranean mix"... it will be a bit expensive but it is the only spreading type vinca.. you can search google for it's pictures...

Return to “Flora Pakistan Database”