URGENT HELP FOR BULB SOWING..

Moderator: Izhar

khalidaminryk
City: rahimyar khan

URGENT HELP FOR BULB SOWING..

Post by khalidaminryk »

AOA

respected all..

i purchased these from lahore and received 2 days ago through mail .. one is iris ( which is thick root type ) other two bulbs i dont know the specie .. please help me out regarding sowing , sun shade , watering , soil type , fertilizing ..?? i have only containers do not have land ...

thanx
Attachments
IMAG0126.jpg
IMAG0125.jpg
IMAG0122.jpg
khalidaminryk
City: rahimyar khan

Re: URGENT HELP FOR BULB SOWING..

Post by khalidaminryk »

should i cut this iris thick root type in to pieces ??? or i sow it fully ?? vertically / horizontaly ???
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

The Glad corms are started to sprout.sow as soon as possible.please do not purchase bulbs which has already shown some growth like you Glads.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

The second one seems to be louisiana iris?
The first one looks like paperwhite to me which is easiest of all bulbs.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

The first pic is of narcissus (could be paper whites or daffodils), plant them now in a soil mixed with some sand (bajri) ..4:1 ratio.. do not add any fertilizer.. bury the whole bulb in the medium only the neck poking out..
The second one is iris rhizome, plant them now horizontally.. but take care not to bury it completely, the rooted area should be in the soil while the green area should be exposed..
The last ones are gladiolus, plant them now, two inches deep in the soil..

Remember, do not add any fertilizer and water carefully until you see new green growth.. narcissus and gladiolus are hardy but iris can easily rot at this stage.. once they are growing then you can treat them as normal plants, when they finish their blooming, start giving them fertilizer.. a few granules of DAP every 15 days is enough..
Feel free to ask any further question..
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Izhar ,

not to give fertilizer is new to me are u sure they will bloom without fertilizer ? is it applicable to all bulbs ?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Syed Adnan wrote:Izhar ,

not to give fertilizer is new to me are u sure they will bloom without fertilizer ? is it applicable to all bulbs ?
Please read again (no fertiliser until the growth appears) and then do it libraly.
Izhar, you seam to be sold on DAP any perticular reason?
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Sir, its my personal experience.. DAP works well in our alkaline soils due to nitrogen in form of ammonium ions.. there is a nursery from where i buy the dahlia cuttings.. he used to apply NPK on dahlias but 2-3 years back there was a shortage so he bought DAP and the results were much better.. similarly my cannas responded very well with light application of DAP... i use DAP in all my potted plants for leafy growth e.g. colocasia esculenta, monstera deliciosa variegata, aglaonemas.. and also in the bulbous plants like ranunculus, dahlia, canna... application rate is lower then NPK... however in annuals NPK show better results... these are just my personal experiences...
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by AhmadIrfan »

I use DAP for all my annuals every two weeks along with npk spray
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:
Syed Adnan wrote:Izhar ,

not to give fertilizer is new to me are u sure they will bloom without fertilizer ? is it applicable to al
Please read again (no fertiliser until the growth appears) and then do it libraly.
Izhar, you seam to be sold on DAP any perticular reason?
Thanks for correction i misread the lines but there are some bulbous plants like Belladonna, African Blood, Lycoris, Hycinths which doesnot need fertilizer unless they bloom (first their flowers appears followed by leaves), after blooming until they sleep again they need fertilizer for next season flowering , in case of spring bulbs the period between bulb sowing and leaf sprouting from ground in very crucial and need special care for watering, fertilizer on this stage can result into rotting and Izhar mentioned very rightly to take extreme care.

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”