Can gladiolus flower in midsummer?

Moderator: Izhar

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Re: Can gladiolus flower in midsummer?

Post by khabbab »

Hamad wrote:As far as my knowledge is concern tweedle is right they do flower if you give them good rest so that they have enough energy to bloom one of my family friend is in Lahore and He do Glads business if I will be able to get hold of him I will ask him and get back to you.
Great. Do let me know. Remember i am not after spring blooming at all. Only summer and late summer blooming.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Syed Adnan wrote:Iam successfully growing glads for the last two years as spring flowering annual, the same bulbs blooms next year as well if properly fed and stored, they reach height of almost 4 feet when bloomed, iam feeding them with lots of 10-15-10 Fertiilize (bimonthly) and compost (initially), additionall yevery month liquid fertilizer. following are some of the pics, in my opinion it is very difficult to keep them out of ground as from OCT they start to sprout automatically or one has to take care of light and heat in the stoarage place. Normally iam hanging them in onion bags in my store.Sumer in our zone is really harsh but its worth to try for.
Beautiful flowers. Well they are good spring bloomers here. What if we do not plant in october, instead we plant in March, will they flower in June?
Lahore gardening blog
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

it can be tried but following few things for sure:

1. The bloom will not last long under scorching sun.
2. Less likelyhood that bulbs could be used again.

But this is because june temperatures are more than 40C in our zones iam pretty sure for tropical areas it is possible. Have you tried African Red Blood Lilly, it blooms in hot of june and it is amazing, i will post some photos soon of its last year bloom, they are one of the best summer plants i have found out.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

Mr. Khabbab I got good news for you, I asked him (I mean the one who do Glads business in Lahore) and according to him they start sowing the bulbs from spring to summer after different intervals, it could be after every week, two week or a month, coz they need continues supply of flowers throughout summer and yes they do bloom.
PrOud tO BE Oo92
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

Hamad wrote:Mr. Khabbab I got good news for you, I asked him (I mean the one who do Glads business in Lahore) and according to him they start sowing the bulbs from spring to summer after different intervals, it could be after every week, two week or a month, coz they need continues supply of flowers throughout summer and yes they do bloom.
Good but from where do i get the bulbs at this time? They are not available from anywhere :(
Lahore gardening blog
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Well so from the discussion I see we can plant glads in October late and also throughout summer. I am presuming then that we can see glads flowering in any month even Jan? Is that a fair statement then?

For some reason I haven't tried glads yet despite having tried so many more bulbs. I even planted Scadouxus puniceus (the African Blood Lily) talked about above.

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”