Growing a herb garden

Advice on Veggies, Herbs and Fruits

Moderator: Izhar

Maryam
City: Karachi

Growing a herb garden

Post by Maryam »

Hello,

Can I grow a herb garden in pots or a trough? I am very very new to this so may be using the wrong words. I have asked my maali to grow dhania but he hasn't been able to achieve that.. he can get mint to grow but not dhania... can it be grown in pots? and what seeds do I use for growing them and how t plant them? I want to do it myself.

for the seeds, will the dried corriander seeds used for cooking work?

Maryam
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Growing a herb garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

In my experience you can grow some herbs in pots........For instance rosemary, mint etc........ whereas other might grow but would not perform as better

For instance as you talked about Cilantro......cilantro crop grown in one 12 Inch pot lets say won't be enough for you. Generally in our hot climate cilantro bolts and quickly becomes coriander. So you would get two good harvest before its over.....so you should go for several pots and space the sowing so that you get continuous supply

Cilantro is generally a cool season crop/annual. and with the good weather approaching it will sprout if your efforts failed earlier. Coriander seeds available in kitchen are good to go. For quick and better germination you can break the round shell by rubbing the seeds between your hand and then sow.

Mint is perennial and very easy to grow.....so there's no craftsmanship shown by your mali as yet :P

Return to “Kitchen Gardening”