Discussing Trees: Streculia

Moderator: Izhar

jzaki
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Flowering & Fruit Trees, Creepers

Discussing Trees: Streculia

Post by jzaki »

Hi,

I am considering plating a tree as a main feature in front of my home. Streculia seems to be a good shape aligned with the overall architecture. However, my search on internet led me to some information that this tree has flowers that stink. I'd appreciate if someone can guide me to a similarly shaped flowering tree. I'll chose a non-flowering one in worst case. Although I like Amaltas, Jacaranda etc, their shape (required one is a tall, a bit conical grown up tree).

Do you see Magnolia an option? btw, location is Islamabad.

On the same note, has anyone experienced using Cherry in Islamabad for its flowers?

Thanks,
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Discussing Trees: Streculia

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I have three trees of Streculia about 6 year old, beautiful shape and foliage, no flowers so far and no stink.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Cherry can not survive our summers.Magnolia Grandiflora is a good option but Cassia Fistula (Amaltas) & Nodosa, Jacoranda has no match. Plumeria to some extent survives our winters but mostly dries.Magnolia Grandiflora makes a very tall tree but blooming time is short.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

I like the Magnolia tree very much but looking at the old fully grown trees, I am changing my mind. The flower is beautiful and grand but the number of flowers is so low that I have to find it on a huge tree. Secondly, it is a slow grower.
Jacaranda would be perfect choice and it is rated as one of the most beautiful trees in the world. Cherry probably has the same problem short bloom period, I guess.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

Im sorry for digressing here from the OP but Jacaranda with a suitably trimmed understory planting of lagerstroemia looks stunning, both flower roughly at the same time, the shape of the leaves and the tree/bush growth shapes compliment each other nicely. The depth of colour and luminosity of the flowers are a good match.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Jacaranda would be perfect choice and it is rated as one of the most beautiful trees in the world.(Farooq)
All choices are personal, I have grown it and removed it after its blooming for a few years. there are many full grown trees in our golf club.
My reasons,
Shape of the plant.
The blue flowers are not prominent against blue sky.
I would like to know more about Streculia, pictures in bloom if you have.
zeeshanuddin
City: Islamabad/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Palms, ferns, annuals, succulants, house plants

Post by zeeshanuddin »

I love Jacaranda but my favorite is the pink flowering tree planted in a row at the fence of Islamabad club. Probably Cassia Nodosa??? Flowering period is short but it looks divine....
Zeeshan
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

zeeshanuddin wrote:I love Jacaranda but my favorite is the pink flowering tree planted in a row at the fence of Islamabad club. Probably Cassia Nodosa??? Flowering period is short but it looks divine....
Do they look some thing like this?

Arif
zeeshanuddin
City: Islamabad/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Palms, ferns, annuals, succulants, house plants

Post by zeeshanuddin »

Arif sb this tree seems different, by the way what is it? The one I referred to has a huge horizontal span, I think it is Cassia Nodosa. Got some pictures on net.
1425859080_528e2520b9.jpg
1425859080_528e2520b9.jpg (171.53 KiB) Viewed 6160 times
P1040208.JPG
Zeeshan
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Cassias have a long span of blooming, I have some and am still waiting to see their blooms.
above picture is of my 5 year old pink Tabebuia.

Return to “General Discussion”