Donor
Donor

Re: Hello from an aquatic gardener. Pic Heavy

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

AND FROM WHERE TO GET THEM.
Arif
S.Ahmed
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Amateur gardener,Fragrant plants,Flowering Plants,Vegetables,Coconuts

Post by S.Ahmed »

What's the name of this green plant? can it grow in small glass container ? where can I get one in Karachi & cost?
Attachments
424517_10200159650575422_1994258005_n.jpg
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Khirmun wrote:@S.Ahmed: Yes, except the few truly aquatic plants (Aponogetons,Elodea, Egeria etc) most of these plant can survive out of water, but they would still require very high humidity (more than 70-80%) and a transition time to change form from the aquatic one to terrestrial one. But most of these plants lose their beauty, color and foliage in the emersed(Outside water) form.

@Mustansir Billah: There are so many species I have kept that it's not hard to recall all of them considering how even their botanical names keep changing (as the information about these plants is available) and that some of them dont have a common name at all.. But I'll try to name what I could remember.
Ammannia crassicaulis, Anubias barteri, Anubias barteri var nana, Anubias nana var petite, Aponogeton crispus, Aponogeton cripus 'red', Ottelia Alismoides, Bacopa caroliana, Bacopa monneri, Cabomba caroliniana, Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Red', Cryptocoryne wendtii 'MiOya', Dward hairgrass, Glosso, Hemanthium tennelum, Hemanthius micranthemoides, Hygrophila Corymbosa var stricta, Hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia', Hygrophila difformis, Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset', Hydrocotyle leucocephala, Limnophila sessiliflora, Ludwigia repens, Java fern, windelov java fern, java moss, Nymphaea rubra, nymphaea stellata, Riccia fluitans, Rotala rotundifolia, Rotala rotundifolia 'pink', Sagittaria subulata and nearly every variety of valisneria,
JazakAllah. I think it would taken decades in collecting them. ;)
jingoist
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Aquatic and Vegetable Plants

Post by jingoist »

@Khirmun

I must say you have done an amazing job. I have been trying to have plants in my aquarium but i failed to do so. There is so much confusion on the online videos/tutorials about the amount of light, CO2, fertilizers and what not.

I once brought this plant (link below) from Karachi but it didn't survive in my aquarium for multiple reasons.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 8005_n.jpg

I really need your support to get me through this phase of at least plant something in my aquarium.

I have recently brought another aquatic plant from Karachi (from Karimabad fish market) to give another try. I have no idea what is that about so I will share some pictures of that in a while.

I look forward for your support.
riaz
Gardening Interests: Horticultural specially roses and interest in fragrant and bulbous plants

Post by riaz »

Wow, Creative idea
Riaz
Khirmun
Gardening Interests: Aquatic gardening.

Post by Khirmun »

@S.Ahmed: That's Limnophila sessiliflora (Asian marshweed or Ambulia). You might have mistaken it for Cabomba caroliniana. Both look almost similar to a novice.
They are seasonal items but a bunch of it can be easily found for 50pkr at Passport Office Aquarium market, NaturesWorldAquarium (shop 13 , gate no .3 , golf course , 5th road , phase 4 D.H.A karachi Pakistan., Karachi, Pakistan) Murshid Aquariums near Fresco bakers and sweets burns road.
@Jingoist: Like every plant, aquatic plants need a source of nutrient, and light, what most people provide to fail. You need atleast 2wpg (watts per gallon of water) of fluorescent or better light. Nowadays there are commercial substrate for planted tanks are available. If you don't wanna spend 3-4 grands on a substrate you can got for mineralized soil route. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... albot.html
Provide these two and start with easy growing plants like crypts, swords, water wisteria, anubias and you're set. For any further help you can always PM me or start a new thread. :)
Thanks everyone for appreciating me.
jingoist
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Aquatic and Vegetable Plants

Post by jingoist »

S.Ahmed wrote:What's the name of this green plant? can it grow in small glass container ? where can I get one in Karachi & cost?
I am sure you can get it from the fish market of Karimabad or Burns Road. Generally shopkeepers asks for Rs.100 per bunch.
whitetiger297
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Ornamental , flowering ,fruits and vegetable plants

Post by whitetiger297 »

Simply beautiful!!!
murtaza9352
Gardening Interests: Aquatic plants

Post by murtaza9352 »

Hello sir..ur collection of aquatic plants and the skills of aquascaping are worth praising.
I have been trying to grow some similar plants but have not yet accomplished.
Can u plz help me out with ur expertise..
How can i contact u??
Khirmun
Gardening Interests: Aquatic gardening.

Post by Khirmun »

You can pm me here. I also have a fishkeeping and planted tank's group on facebook. I don't know if this forum's rule allow to post links of facebook groups or not.

Return to “General Discussion”