Street Trees Advice required

Moderator: Izhar

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Re: Street Trees Advice required

Post by Munir »

I agree with Hamad, except that in my view it is not a shrub. Moreover it is not an ever green plant, but sheds leaves in winter.
Rafaiy
City: Rawalpindi

Post by Rafaiy »

Hamad lagerstroemia is not a small tree, I have one in my house with purple flowers, it provides enough shade for a car like corolla, its already touching the electricity wires passing above. I have to get it pruned once in a while from my mali
Munir is right it sheds all its leaves in winter
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Rafaiy wrote:Hamad lagerstroemia is not a small tree, I have one in my house with purple flowers, it provides enough shade for a car like corolla, its already touching the electricity wires passing above. I have to get it pruned once in a while from my mali
Munir is right it sheds all its leaves in winter
Rafaiy..hard prune crepe myrtle in fall....to the extent that only 5-6 ft of wood remains....and then it will surprise you with uncountable blooms. This also enables it to maintain its compact composure.
khawarissslam
City: jhelum
Gardening Interests: I know i always love flowers, shadow trees and fruit tress.

Post by khawarissslam »

Brothers, honestly speaking I m confused to see your answers. You talk like doctors or lecturers which is confusing really very much.

Mujay English aati hai likhni b or parhni b, lekin aisi scientific behas sun k tau lagta hai k ye forum awareness k liye kum or point scoring k liye ziada hai, ap Sab seniors ho, plz kuch hath hola rakho ta k kuch seekhay ko b milay, Asaan English or Desi Naam use Karo plz.

Abi tak post main ye poday suggest kiye Gaye hain

1. Neem Excellent one click Desi name
2. Canocarpus
3. Lagerstroemia

The rest of viewers have not replied including some founder members, which is disappointing and discouraging really.

I have to purchase plants tomorrow and seriously no names in mind other then Neem and Alstonia.
The rest you commented are out of view of nurserymen seriously. Lets hope nurserymen may guide me in better direction. Don't take my comments personally as I replied on whole picture not selectively.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

This is because you want a tree to give shade to your car but not high enough to touch the wires. Its a difficult proposition. We will have to request a tree specifically for this job.....No one is point scoring. People are presenting their points of views which should help you make your mind. In gardening and plants there is no Yes/No or 1+1=2......every perspective is right and nothing is final. You have to find what you aspire to.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

It may be a confusing situation alright,but not too bad to get disappointed. Don't be in a hurry,the plantation season hasn't yet fully started & there is still a lot of time to make a decision.Your tree must meet a number of requirements, which have to be debated to come to a right choice.I think every one here has given his opinion honestly,but the decision in the end has to be yours.
I may dare suggest yet another option of Sukhchan tree; It is large enough to provide the desired shade,not likely to grow too high to reach the electric wires, is ever green thus provides round the year shade,reasonably robust & smart enough to stand in the street.
Please do tell us when you have made the decision.
Rafaiy
City: Rawalpindi

Post by Rafaiy »

Khawar if you are interested you can go to any nursery and say the nursery man to show you LAGESTONIA plant (local name for Lagerstroemia plant). Price range is 80-100 rupees. Its easily available in every nursery and it has three flower colour purple, pink and white.
khawarissslam
City: jhelum
Gardening Interests: I know i always love flowers, shadow trees and fruit tress.

Post by khawarissslam »

Thanks to everyone, i will consider your suggestions in-Sha-Allah
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I suggest these two based on lower height.

Cassia Surattensis
Nyctanthes arbortristis (Haar Singhar)
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:I suggest these two based on lower height.

Cassia Surattensis
Nyctanthes arbortristis (Haar Singhar)
I think Khawer shb got angry on our pedantic discussions. I think it would have been better if he had shown us the place (picture) because each of us has a different way of imagining his house. And I think everyone gave their sincere advice.

I have two Nyctanthes trees, they are indeed of medium height ~ about 15 feet, they are no good for shade. Can we train them to have a canopy?

Return to “General Discussion”