Adinium culture

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Adinium culture

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I am wondering why Adinium is grown in pots only, why not in the ground?
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Adinium culture

Post by Izhar »

Adeniums prefer to be root bound and those planted in ground dont grow well.. and bloom less too..
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Izhar wrote:Adeniums prefer to be root bound and those planted in ground dont grow well.. and bloom less too..
I am wiser. Thanks.
haris.kabir
City: Rawalpindi

Post by haris.kabir »

Maybe the beauty of caudex is the reason. As that helps give adenium a bonsia look.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

I have wondred about this also. There are adeniums in the arabian desert so I'm not sure about the pot thing. I, however, think it prudent to put in pots in Lahore since you can stop watering in winter and control over watering in the monsoon, both of which will cause them to rot. I put adenium pots directly in the ground acouple of days ago in my newly planned perennial beds. Just the rim of the pot about an inch is above ground. Let's see if this does for me what I want :D
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Adiniums do not survive our winters.you have to keep them in green house in winters.they are very fussy plants in our climate so thats why i have left them some years back.i think Adnan can guide us more.but what i saw in his post,his Adiniums were also in green house with some energy savers in winters.Adeniums are exotic plants fit for limited space gardeners.what i want to say every plant needs care & we should justify it.due to our busy life routine we can not justify with Adiniums.although we are plant lovers.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Actually all four of my adeniums survived this winter. All I did was put them under the shade of the house and stopped watering them. Lahore winter most things can get by unless it freezes at nights more than a week which is very rare.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

So you are lucky,here in Mardan & Islamabad the winters are cool.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Adinium, I liked the plant, bought and lost many, So I worked on it and now I am ready to go in on a large scale.
You can grow them from cuttings but the plant from cutting does not develop caudex,

It grows quite fast from seed forming a caudex.

I also changed to a very gritty medium, having KAIRY (broken bricks),Wood chips and Manure. The result was so good that Adnan has also adopted it.
In winter The pots were placed under shade to protect it from rain and absolutely no water for three months.
Come September I am sowing hundreds of seeds to prepare a stock for grafting.
I have enough seeds for all who want them.
Arif
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Arif sb nice work,really nice.keep it up.i may also go through this beautiful plant once again after seeing your results.

Return to “General Discussion”